02

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬

News the next day... was unexpected, to say the least. The mission that Wanda and the Avengers team had been on had taken a drastic turn - and not for the better. In trying to save the civilians of Lagos, some lives were lost.

Wanda blamed herself.

She had called Pietro, distraught at her own actions. She had caused an explosion which was the killer of innocent people. Ava could vaguely hear the woman sobbing over the phone pressed to Pietro's ear. They were talking hurriedly in the language they rarely used.

"Pietro? Can I speak to auntie Wanda?" Ava had asked shyly, wanting to assure the woman that she was proud and she had done well for the situation.

"Yes, of course." Pietro said, a bit of hesitation being spotted as he handed her his mobile phone.

"Hello?" Ava called into the phone, her voice loud. She still wasn't used to using phones and didn't really understand them very well.

"He— Hello, Ava!" Wanda greeted, trying to get rid of her shaky voice and negative mood for the little girl.

"Auntie Wanda, I wanted to tell you that you did good and Pietro and me are super, super proud of you!" Ava told her with a bright grin on her face, Pietro watching her with a soft smile. He was very proud.

However, Ava was still struggling with her language skills. She knew some German and a bit of Russian, but she could mostly remember English - why, she didn't know. She couldn't remember much. Nobody could figure out why that was, either.

It seemed nobody was really figuring out anything.

Tony Stark.

He has been called many things, he's been tortured, beaten down, picked back up and... just say that he's been through too much.

Many people could call him a coward, for hiding behind his money. His father's company. His own suit. But they wouldn't know. And they could never know. Anthony Stark had been to hell and back.

Fortunately, he had changed for the better.

An ageing woman sat at a piano, playing a soft tune on the polished keys. Her son lay on the couch, looking grumpy and annoyed, not to mention he was half asleep. Tony Stark - from the past.

"Try to remember the kind of September. When grass was green..." her singing stopped when her husband entered the room, white hair styled to perfection. Her fingers continued to move across the keys. "Wake up, dear, and say goodbye to your father." She told Tony, who began to shuffle around.

"Who's the homeless person on the couch?" Howard Stark asked, clenching his jaw. Tony finally staggered up, a Santa hat resting on his head.

"This is why I love coming home for Christmas. Right before you leave town." The younger and less tortured man said to his father, bitterness clear in his words.

"Be nice, dear, he's been studying abroad." Maria said, attempting to break up the tension between her son and husband.