when we're apart, i can't pretend

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it."

The rest of the words faded as I sat in disbelief. What was going on?

I glanced around the rest of the table, Benji listening intently to his mission.

I should be listening to the mission. My ears picking up the place to meet should I accept.

"This message will self destruct in five seconds."

I put the phone down on the table. A few seconds later, the phone sparked and smoke trickled from it.

The other agents did the same.

Hunley nodded at me when I caught his eye, telling me that this was serious.

"Why are we being disbanded?" One of the other agents asked the question that was on my mind.

"Our package no longer requires protection. You all have your missions, should you choose to accept them. And that's all I'm saying on this." Hunley rose from the table, "Good luck agents. See you back at the base."

I sat in stunned silence. I could make out the giggles of the two little girls, Jemma's sisters. They weren't gone. But I hadn't seen Jemma since breakfast.

The memory of her note popped into mind and I winced. She obviously didn't care that much about me.

I wanted to sigh. As hard as Jemma tried, she wouldn't be able to push me away. She was my life from now on.

I loved her. And I wouldn't let her go.

I pushed to my feet, following after Hunley, "Where's Jemma?"

Hunley didn't answer, his face giving nothing away.

"Hunley." I spoke sharply, "Where is she?"

"She left our protection."

I stopped walking, another wave of disbelief washing over me, "No. No. She needed us. Why would she just leave?"

Hunley shrugged, opening the door to his room. I watched as he moved around the room, gathering up stuff.

"Why are her sisters still here?"

"Agent Dunn has care of them for now. Jemma asked for them to be returned to her mother when she arrives home."

"And just like that." I studied him, "I'm supposed to walk away from her?"

"She requested that no one contact her."

"Hunley, she has been threatened!" I narrowed my eyes, "We can't just let her walk. She'll be killed."

"We can't do anything now." Hunley looked up from his packing, "She's already walked."

"Then I'm going after her." I turned.

"You're going to abandon the mission that was given to you?"

I froze at his words. His works hit their intended mark. He was playing me, knowing that I was devoted to the missions.

"I took a mission five years ago and lost Jem." I shook my head, "I'm not taking this one. I won't lose her again."

Hunley didn't move. He didn't say anything. Anger rising, I turned and strode from the room. I went searching for Benji.

Maybe he would be able to help me find her.

I clenched my fists as I moved swiftly through the rooms of the safe house. I found Benji in the living room, packing up his equipment.

He looked up at me and immediately I saw guilt written on his face.