Chapter One

"Jackie, please!" Courtney begged Jackie, her best friend. Courtney was a small girl with black hair and brown eyes. She kind of resembled the human form of a chihuahua, meaning she would pee on the floor if something exciting happened. 

"No, Courtney," Jackie said while opening her locker. Jackie was a quiet girl with brown hair and hazel eyes. Jackie never really spoke up that much and she needed Courtney's personality to balance out her own. Otherwise, she just wouldn't go outside at all.

"Come on, Jack, it'll be fun! I promise. We can go dress shopping and we can get ready at my house-"

"Court, I said I'm not going."

"Why not? What do you have to lose?"

"You mean what haven't I lost?" Jackie Langford was considered the least popular girl in school. Even though most students genuinely liked her, they all were afraid to talk to her or talk about her because of one person.

"Hey, Langford! You going to the dance? Maybe someone will dance with you if you wear a mask!" Clayton Henry. The bully. Clayton had made everyday of Jackie's high school existence difficult. Jackie didn't know why Clayton picked on her but everyday was the same. Everyday Clayton would make some snide remark in front of all of her classmates. Clayton chose to humiliate her for no reason. Jackie would be attracted to Clayton if he wasn't such an asshole. He had light brown hair that looked as if it was very soft and he had stunning green eyes.

Jackie raised an eyebrow at Courtney. "See?"

"Forget about Clayton Henry. Nobody else sees you the way he does. He's just a stupid boy."

"Yeah, but the rest of the school seems to follow him and every move he makes."

"That's because they're just a bunch of cowards who don't speak for themselves."

"Whatever. The point is, I'm not going."

"Will you still go dress shopping with me?"

"Yes, of course."

"Good."

"I gotta get to class. I'll see you at lunch, Court."

***

"Hey, Langford! You going to the dance? Maybe someone will dance with you if you wear a mask!" Clayton Henry called. 

"Clayton, man, you gotta lay off her some time," Clayton's best friend, Alex Kresser, said. Alex was a genuinely nice person but he was too much of a follower and not enough of a leader. Alex had red hair and dark blue eyes.

"Why? You in love with her or something?"

"No, it's just I don't understand what she ever did to you."

"It's obvious, man. She's fucking weird."

"Not really, Clayton."

"Claytie!" Clayton Henry's cheerleader girlfriend, Allie, called out to him. "Just so you're aware, I'll be wearing a red dress to the dance this weekend so find me right away."

"Okay, Allie," Clayton said as he kissed his girlfriend on the cheek. Allie was classified as the most annoying girl in the grade just because of her terrible ability to read the room. She was one of the best and prettiest cheerleaders on the school squad and she looked pretty basic with her blonde hair and brown eyes. Most people didn't like her an generally avoided her because she was able to take what she wanted pretty easily. 

"Let's go to class, Claytie!" Allie said, grabbing her boyfriend's hand and dragging him behind her.