I saw a businessman working on his laptop, an older couple talking over a glass of wine, and...

Sky.

My eyes widened at the sight of her, sitting just a table away from us with a guy.

Hence, the dress and high heels she wore today, not that I paid attention to what she wore.

They said curiosity killed the cat, and damn if I wasn't curious.

I shifted my chair just slightly to be able to hear better. My oblivious colleague didn't notice, thank heaven for that.

"I want you back, Sky. I love you. I'll do anything. Remember how happy we were?"

"I don't know..." Sky sighed.

"I'll beg if that's what it takes. I'm miserable without you."

Poor guy.

"Sky, please say yes. Let's be together again. Don't give up on us."

"It's late for that, don't you think?"

"It's not late. It's never late for true love. You are the one for me."

Same old, dude. Lame. Try harder.

Except this time, Sky lost it. She started to cry, and it was lunchtime, and the restaurant was crammed with people now, and what the fuck, Sky? Why was she so upset?

I tried to recall everything the guy said, but couldn't get what caused those sobs. He didn't comfort her, just stared at the tabletop while she was breaking down.

I thought about getting up and going to talk to her, but she'd be embarrassed. And fuck, Mathis and Louis were still here, at the meeting I was supposed to take part in.

Sky reached for a tissue and dabbed at her eyes.

"I'll think about it, okay? Thanks for the coffee."

She rose to her feet, grabbed her purse, and walked to the door and out of the restaurant with her head held high. How could she be that good at pretending?

Through the fog in my head, I heard Mathis ask a question. Louis answered. I nodded. All I did was fucking nod.

"Man, who's the chick? Damn, she's hot, and you kept her hidden."

A group of guys in suits sat at the table where the guy who begged was. They surely worked together.

"Let's order; I'm starving. And she's nobody. Someone I used to fuck."

I set my knife on the plate with too much force, making Mathis look at me.

"You're a fool if you let her go. Did she dump you?"

"Me? Are you dumb? She's the definition of a doormat, dude. You wipe your feet off her, and she keeps coming back for more. Besides, if you're into sex with a log...I had to fuck someone after I fucked her just to get some action. Jesus, she's the coldest one there is."

"She didn't look like it," one of the guys said.

I balled my fists until the nails dug into my palms.

Rage —blinding, all-consuming rage overtook my every thought, feeling, and emotion.

"That's because you don't know her as well as I do. She wouldn't give me head because she wasn't even good enough for that. The most I got was once from behind, and dude, that was like doing it with a statue, I swear. Who's even shy to try stuff at nineteen anymore?"

"Why did you see her then?"

"She's got a condo downtown. If I can walk to work, I can sleep some more. I'm fed up with all the living on the outskirts bullshit. Besides, the chick I live with is fucking annoying. I want out. At least the one you saw says yes to everything—no stupid questions. Maybe fucking is something she'll learn with time. If not, there are plenty of them ready and waiting. So, guys, now she's gonna beg me to come live with her. I give her two days tops. Wanna bet?"