chapter 2

"'You want to try the new Domino's at Sigra?' Jaina said.

'Can we go to the ghats?' I asked.

'Ghats?' she said.

'Yeah, in the evening the Ghat looks more beautiful,' I said.

'Okay, Vaini,' she said.

We walked to the steps of the Lalita Ghat, which was quieter than the busy Dashashwamedh on our right. We sat next to each other and watched the Ganga change colors with the evening sun. On our left, flames flickered from the never-ending funeral prayer in the Manikarnika Ghat, which is named after Shiva's earring that he dropped here during a dance. It is considered the holiest place for cremation.
We heard the temple bells ring in the distance. The arti was about to begin.

'So, how's your life going?' she asked.

'Fine, what about your studies?' I asked.

'It's good,' she said.

'See, Vaini, your lover also came here,' she said.

'Oh shit, ignore him,' I said.

'Why didn't you talk with him?' she asked.

'Don't be stupid, Jaina,' I said.

'Don't look so glum, it's your choice,' she said.

I became quiet. We saw the evening aarti from a distance. A dozen priests, holding giant lamps the size of flaming torches, prayed in synchronized moves as singers chanted in the background. Hundreds of tourists gathered around the priests. No matter how many times you see it, the aarti on Varanasi Ghats manages to mesmerize each time."

"Hello, dear reader. I hope you liked chapter 2. I'll publish my next chapter soon. Until then, stay safe, stay blessed, and stay happy."