Part 1: Taking Fire

**** This chapter has been updated and rewritten for the sake of better immersion. No major changes, just expanding upon my former work. I hope you enjoy it. - 💙 ****

Now back to the story.

--------------------------------------------------------------

- Shots rang out. Bullets whizzed by your body. The concrete barrier against your back feels chilling through your clothes. The smell of gunpowder and sweat coating your dry mouth and sweeping across your senses. -

You knew you fucked up when you tried to lure that guard into an alley. Having knocked one unconscious and then spotted in the act by another lurking in the shadows.

How the hell did you manage this?.. oh right...

--Flashback: 10 minutes before---

- It's around 4 pm, but you wouldn't be able to tell in the dark alley you found yourself in. The streets above cover the area and shroud it in darkness so thick, you almost needed streetlamps to see properly. The perfect conditions for a stealth mission. At least, you hoped. Why you ever decided to go ahead of the group after the briefing from Tseng just 2 hours ago CLEARLY stated not to go alone, you will never understand; but you went ahead anyway because something in you just kept telling you to go. Call it instinct. -

The guard's body drops to the ground with a soft thud. Reaching under the large man. You stare at a figure in the distance as you prepare yourself to hide the unconscious body.

"HEY, YOU! GET BACK HERE!" The distant figure yells as he reaches for his weapon, and fires a shot at you. You look up as the bullet misses you by a few feet but manages to catch the side of the dumpster (you had planned on dropping the heavy man into) making a tinging noise as the bullet ricochets off the soft metal case and pings to the ground. Turning his head back and pulling his hand to his mouth, he yells again. "WE GOT COMPANY BOYS!"

You curse to yourself under your breath. "Fuck.." you've been spotted. You drop the guard flat on his back. 'So much for a stealthy job.'

You quickly turn to face the new assailant. Pulling your 1911 from your hip with ease. You fire two panicked shots at the figure. Unsure of your own accuracy in the dark alleyway, you see the figure flinch and throw his weapon to the ground. He grabs his palm and hisses. Definitely a graze, nothing more; but at least you managed to disarm him. You turn to flee, knowing you've already blown the silent approach and knowing damn well you are not equipped for a full-frontal assault.

- You're stopped dead in your tracks when you hear footsteps pounding in your direction. -

You look up to see five more men have appeared and are now surrounding all possible escape paths. Each man stands in a brutish stance; all bearing a gold-trimmed Beretta, swaying and twitching like watchdogs preparing to take any necessary steps to stop your intrusion. You drop to a stance ready to defend yourself at any cost and scan your surroundings. 'There.' Your eyes lock on your path. You look back and smile at the group before heading for your new exit.

Turning quickly, you run into an alley to the right. Seeing as no one had protected this path; there must be an exit ahead they couldn't reach easily. "She's escaping!" you hear called out behind you. The sounds of gunfire ring out as you sprint to your escape. As you run, you can't help but notice the sounds of the townsfolk screaming and fleeing. Your heart aches, knowing you are the cause of this. If you had just stayed back instead of going alone.. 'No, can't think like that now,' you try to assure yourself that you made the right call.

- Running and dodging stray fire, you spot an opening ahead. You catch a glimpse of the sky between the brick path. Realizing it is nearing sunset now from the hues of color lapping at the horizon. The view sends a tingle down your spine. How is it you can see the sky like this in sector 7? -