Chapter 32: What Is Worse Than Death?

Start from the beginning

The lady froze when Gusion cupped her face with his eyes closed. He was gonna kiss her.

"Gusion, what are you do—"

"Gusion! There you are! We've been looking for you inside." Alucard arrived together with Granger interrupting him from kissing the lady.

"Layla, what are you doing here?" Granger asked.

"Keeping him company, what else? I'm bringing him to my place. He's so drunk." Layla replied.

"I don't think that would be necessary. We'll take it from here." Alucard responded and quickly grabbed Gusion's arm to help him stand.

"Whatever." Layla sounded annoyed and disappointed. "Remember what I told you, Gusion. You don't want your ex to see you like this. Not while she's having fun with her husband. Also, training battles will start on Monday. You have to be there."

On their way back to the dormitory, Gusion suddenly asked Granger to stop the car.

"Please." He asked one more time.

Granger pulled over. Gusion immediately got off the car.

"Where are you going, Gus?" Alucard asked as he followed his drunk friend.

Gusion stopped at a bridge overlooking a river.

"Gusion, whatever you're thinking of doing, please don't do it. I know that the first heartbreak is always the most painful, but it's not the end of the world. There are so many girls out there dying to be your girlfriend." Alucard shouted, worried.

"So many... but none of them is Guinevere." Gusion sobbed as he sat down.

Alucard sighed heavily, relieved that Gusion won't jump off. He sat beside him. Granger followed.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to wake up every morning knowing that the person who gave you so much to look forward to is gone? This pain... death is nothing compared to this. Why didn't she even give me a chance to show her that we can do this together? That we can overcome whatever it is that's coming for us. I guess I should have never expected that she would do what I would have done... She said she wanted to marry me, she said she is mine forever, and I believer her. But why? Why did she choose to leave me and hurt me like this? I don't want to forget her, but everytime I remember her face, how she smiles whenever she sees me, how she loved me, everything about her... it just gets more and more unbearable... like you never want to wake up and remember everything again. Or is this just a bad dream? Am I just stuck in a bad dream? Tell me..." Gusion cried.

"Yes, this is just a bad dream and you have to wake up soon, Gusion. You may never understand why Guin chose to leave you rather than fight for you, but are you going to let all her sacrifices go in vain?" Granger asked Gusion.

"Sacrifices that I never asked." Gusion responded.

"Because she knows you're always the one doing all the sacrifices for her, for everyone around you. If she stayed and you get killed, do you think she will ever forgive herself knowing that you died for her? She never wanted to leave you, Gusion. The last person who was crying to me before you was her. If you want to hate her for what she did, you have all the right to do that, if that will help you feel better. But don't take yourself for granted."

"Granger is right, Gus. Plus, we're here for you. You were perfectly fine before you met her. I'm sure you'll get by without her. We'll never leave you." Alucard assured Gusion.

The weekend has passed and Gusion was nowhere to be found again.

"Where is he? The battle is about to begin!" Angela asked Alucard and Granger who are both from their rival team.

Granger shrugged.

"No idea. I thought he was sleeping all weekend. He looked better when we went home last Friday." Alucard responded.

"He will get suspended if he doesn't show up." Hanabi butted in.

"Just call your Hayabusa to substitute. We're running out of time!" Harley ordered Hanabi.

Hanabi ran to the exit door but suddenly froze when she bumped into someone who was wearing the same color of suit as the rest of her team. She blushed when he smiled at her.

There were girls screaming loudly from the audience.

"Gusion!!!"

Alucard, Granger and the V.E.N.O.M. squad were all shocked to see Gusion in his Emperor Scorpion suit as he approached them. He looked fresh and confident like he'd never been through anything depressing the past week.

"Oh my god, he's so handsome!!!" Angela screamed in happiness.

"Are you guys ready to win today?" Gusion smiled as he asked his team.