Prologue

"Jaden."

"Jaden, wake up!" Like a siren, Sarah had woken me up from my troublesome slumber. I couldn't go to sleep in the uncomfortable village beds that night, let alone the past year. But at least I have one in times like these.
"We gotta go hunting today, it's our turn. Kat went yesterday." She snarked. She was excellent at pushing my buttons, for a 17 year old of course. 3 years in the zombie apocalypse really screws with you.
"Alright, alright," I replied groggily. "I hear ya. Lemme get dressed, kay?"
"Ugh, fine..." she retaliated.
She walked out of the small house that I resided in, waiting outside of my door.
I got changed and had peeked out to see her with a smug look.
"Looks like you forgot your clothes....."
Oops.
I bolted back in without a word and threw on my clothes that I thought I had put on. How could I not notice?
"That's much better." She giggled. "Let's walk to the plateau where we can get some food."
We began our walk to the "calming plateau" as we liked to call it, when Tauri stopped us.
"Heya! Don't forget your food guys!" She smiled. She handed us each bags labeled "Apple, 2 slices of cooked rabbit and small water".
"Thanks!" I replied. Sarah hunkered down on the food, looking like she had not eaten her whole life.
"Thank you!" She beamed.
"No problem! Goodbye!" She added.
We walked to the plateau as fast as possible, we needed food desperately.
"Hey! Look at those bushes! It's a turkey!" Sarah yelped. The turkey had flapped its wings and ran away from the site.
"Really, Sarah?" I rebuked.
"Yikes, sorry. I got excited." Sarah apologized. "I'll go hunt it down."
She went into the far out bushes with her machete and cut them down looking for the turkey, and I followed.
However, she had looked to her left and ran right out of the bushes.
"Walkers, a whole horde of em!" She whispered. "We need to warn the village!"
We had started to run to the village and went to all the nearest houses and began pounding on doors. We had explained what had happened and began to pack our things.
Once we were ready, we started to run as fast as we could east from the village. There was the frontier we got taken to, but we were going to pass that.
"Jaden!" I heard a holler. Sarah and Rocco got trapped between the village and the zombies blocking the path.
"Sarah, no!" I hollered back.
I had heard a faint "Keep going!" From Rocco. Then everything went black for a while, until I regained thought and began running with the group. Or, what was left of it.

That was the first time I prayed.