Chapter 13: snow

I ran down the corridor, tears were streaming down my face. I could hear footsteps behind me. When I reached me room I flung open my door and collapsed onto my bed. Tears consumed me completely. I heard someone open and close my door. I didn't bother to lift my head.

"Princess, what happened?" Danny asked. I sailed into the pillow and I felt him gently rub my back. I lifted my head slowly and looked at him through watery eyes.

"They've said-" I choked and stopped. Danny stood by the bed patiently waiting.

"They've said Luchia only has a few weeks left" Philippe had taken me into the library and told Danny to wait outside. He had sat me down then broke the news to me. He told me he'd just got back from the hospital which I hadn't even been allowed to go to yet. He said they'd let me visit Luchia to say goodbye at some point this week. After that I'd run out the room crying my eyes out. Danny cupped my wet face.

"Oh Mina" he said sighing. There was a knock at my door which made Danny dropped his hand quickly. He called come in and my mother walked in, her own face was tear stained also. She nodded at Danny who backed away and left the room. I sat up in bed and mum hugged me.

"Oh Aramina" she huskily said, she snorted then began to cry.

"I can't loose my little baby" she wailed sobbing into my shoulder. I hugged my arms around her neck and cried too. After a minute or so I managed to speak.

"Why can't they help her?" I quietly said. Mum winced.

"I don't know baby, I don't know" she answered. We sat in silence for a while. Just hugging each other. Letting tears fall from our eyes every now and then. After what seemed like forever, my mother let out a giggle. I looked at her with a confused expression. She pointed out the window and I followed her gaze. I saw large, white snow flakes fall in front of the window. I smiled slightly, I had completely forgotten that it was only a month from Christmas. The realisation hit me that this Christmas was going to be different.

"Luchia will be very happy it's snowing" mum said. I nodded silently then stood up.

"I'm going to go make sure Sar is ok" I said. Mum nodded

"Yes, the Dumais left awhile ago so I suspect she'll be alone and needing someone" I made my way out of my room and down the long corridor to Sar's. I knocked then walked in to find it empty. I started to wander around the castle looking for her. I walked out of the grand doors onto the front steps. Goose bumps rose on my bare arms. I saw figures sitting at the bottom of the steps. I could make out Sarena's long blonde hair. She had a blanket draped over her shoulders and Danny sat at her side. I saw he held a mug which he handed to Sar. I made my way down the steps and sat beside Sar. She looked up when she saw me and her bottom lip wobbled. Her eyes were red and her face blotchy. Danny took the mug from her hand and she threw her arms around me. I hugged her tightly and she sobbed. I looked at Danny over Sar's shoulder. I mouthed thank you at him. He nodded and smiled slightly. Us three sat in silence, no one spoke, the only sound was Sar's gentle sobs. When she loosened the hug I wrapped my arm around her shoulder. Danny reached behind her back and linked his fingers with mine. Little tingles shot up my hand and arm.

"I promise everything will be ok" I said, lying to myself. Sar nodded silently and Danny squeezed my hand. As much as I love the fact he was there help us I knew he was treading on thin ice, being seen holding hands with the princess he's protecting is pretty bizarre. We sat shivering on the steps as the snow started to fall more heavily. Danny stood up still holding my hand, the gesture cause me to stand also. Sar looked at at me and stood. We all walked inside where my Bamba stood waiting for us. He smiled weakly when he saw Sar and I, Sar ran into his arms and began to sob again. Danny kept a tight hold of my hand, hiding it by standing very close beside me. Phil looked over sar's shoulders at Danny and I. I could tell he noticed the hands but he dismissed it and nodded to Danny, like a thank you. Danny smiled slightly back and led me off down a corridor. He stopped outside s door which he pushed open, I was greeted by a staircase that led up the way. I had never known this staircase existed. Danny led my up it then into a long corridor. There were about 10 doors that led off the corridor, Danny opened the third one on the left then beckoned me in. I walked into a small, cozy room. It had a double bed in right corner of the room, a sofa was positioned at the end of the bed facing a small t.v. A wardrobe, ensuit and desk were also in the room. The window over looked the entrance gate.

"This is my room" Danny said. I sat on the sofa and curled up in a ball. Danny knelt by the sofa so his face was by mine.

"Mina I need to know if you're ok?" He asked, rage flushed through me. I sat up suddenly.

"What do you think!" I snapped violently. Danny flinched, he placed his hands on my knees and squatted in front of me.

"I know losing someone is hard, trust me, but I need to know you're not going to put yourself in danger" he concerningly said. I nodded, blinking back tears. Danny sighed snd stood up. He cupped my face then kissed me cold forehead so gently it was just a tickle.

"How do you know what loss feels like?" I asked. Danny looked at his feet, his attitude changed.

"I'm not supposed to talk about my personal life" he replied. I sighed

"Ok, tell me as your friend then" I said. Danny smirked slightly and sat beside me on the sofa

"When i was 10 my dad was killed in action, 6 months later my mother comminuted suicide due to grief. My younger brother then died in a car accident 2 years later. Then that left just me, a 12 year old boy completely alone in the world" he said the last words in no more than a whisper. I place a hand gently on Danny's tense shoulders.

"I'm so sorry" I honestly said. Danny shrugged.

"I don't mind, because of my family I got hired into this line of work. Without that I would never of met you" I felt my heart begin to race.

"You are my life now mina, and I promise I will protect you from any dangers that try to hurt you" he turned to look at me, he eyes were sad. I stared back at me, my heart racing. For the first time that day I forgot about Luchia, all that was on my mind was Danny.

"Promise me, promise me that you won't leave me" I quietly said. Danny's eyes trailed from my eyes to my lips then back to my eyes.

"I promise that no matter how much you try, you won't be able to shift me. I love you Mina, and I will love you till the day I die" Danny leaned in and kissed me hard on the lips. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back with an equal amount of force. Sparks and fireworks erupted in my stomach. All my pain washed away and I let myself be consumed with pure happiness. But something at the back of my mind was telling me to stop this, before someone gets hurt.