Umzila Ka Thandaza

This is the early days but not early you know,boma 1990. Apartheid is just a passing phase,My mom's words.

I am Thandaza Khumalo and am 15 years of age,I am currently doing grade 10 but due to the situation at home I don't attend school anymore. I have been the victim since I was 8 years.

I once had a mom and a father and Big brother Thobani ,but all that was just a passing phase. After My mom died things changed at home. My dad stopped working, Every cent that I make I buy food ,it doesn't even last long. I work at a spaza shop and I earn R200 per week.

It doesnt do much but I survive. My brother is a thief. He steals non stop, he went jail several times but still he wouldn't listen. My dad is just a drunk yard now. He never listens. I'm always getting abused,I get slaps and belts for nothing.

Here I am waking up at 6:00am ,getting ready for work. I wish to go to school. I bathed and heated the water for dad and my brother. I made umdoko and cleaned by 7:45am I was done.

Dad:Thandaza??!
Me:Bab'?
Dad:You're going somewhere?
Me:Yes..I made umdoko and amanzi asekhona .
Dad:am hungry.
Me:Baba I am already late. Mam'Wendy is going to shout if I arrive late.
Dad:Lalela Go and make food for me!!!!!!!
Me:Yebo baba.

Tears rolled down,I poured it for me and served him with a tray.

Dad:Mxm Hamba lah!!!!!

I went to go wake Thobani up
Me:Thobani!!
Thobani:Hamba lah!!?
Me:Thobani!Vuka!!
Thobani:Fusek!!!!!!!!!
Me:Your porridge is at the stove and your water is ready.
Thobani:(He pointed at me with a gun)Fokofo!!!!!Phuma!!!.

I ran out,Everyday ll walk next to my school. I saw my class and children playing outside. I stopped for 10 minutes and sat down.

Education is useless according to my dad and brother. Thobani finished school and got his matric certificate, he shouldn't have to be a thief you know. That guy is smart!Very smart but Chose wrong the wrong crowd.

Me:(I saw Bongeka at schooll)Bongeka!!!!!!

She saw me and ran to the fence
Bongeka:Thandaza
Thandaza:Bongeka.
Bongeka:uMama yaz she's sick.
Thandaza:What?
Bongeka:Yeah. Please check up on her before you go to Mam'Wendy.
Thandaza:Okay Wena usharp?
Bongeka:Yeah, Senzo is at work do you don't have to worry about him.
Thandaza:Okay
Bongeka:(She sat down)You wanna come?
Thandaza:Umah would've loved it if I went to school.
Bongeka:Don't worry Kuzolunga.
Thandaza:I just wish the whites that come every Mondays would choose me .
Bongeka:you wanna leave us now?
Thandaza:I have to get away from here Bongeka.
Bongeka:Plus They're racist lababantu Thandaza.
Thandaza:I have to sit there and listen to the insults mihla nemihla!?
Bongeka:We'll talk after school if I get a chance, Zanele and I will come to the spaza nerh?
Thandaza:Okay.
Bongeka:Bye bye I love you chomi.
Thandaza:I love you too chomi.

We both chuckled in tears.
Thandaza:Nangu uMiss Sonwa Baleka.
Bongeka:Sure Chomi.

She ran away and I also ran away. I went to Bongeka's house. Her mom is lying at the sofa,watching TV.

Me:Sanbona Mah
Bongeka'sMom:Thandaza sisi ngabe uwena?

Bongeka's mom is a little blind. She can't see properly even if she has glasses,AKABONI!.

Me:Yebo Its me. Bongeka asked me to check up on you.
Bongeka's Mom:Ngyabonga sis
Me:did you take your meds?
Bongeka'Mom:Yes i did.
Me:Are you okay?
Bongeka'sMom:Yea my love i am. Aren't you going to be late to work?
Me:Yes but I wanted to make sure if you're fine.
Bongeka'sMom:oh my baby thank you so much. I gave uMam'wendy uR30,she'll give you a cabbage and onions and amafutha.
Me:Ngyabonga mah