Chapter 37: Fated

"How are you feeling?" Delwyn asked his wife, one of his arms curled around her and resting on her belly. She was about twenty-five weeks along, but because she was having twins, her midriff was enormous.

"I'm fine," she said quietly, pulling her face into a smile to reassure him.

It was a two-day journey by carriage to get to the Great Coral. She and Delwyn had discussed it at length. They needed to visit the cave of the Great Coral to receive the blessing before they could then have their formal wedding and coronation. They contemplated postponing it until Reina had given birth... but then they would have to travel with three babies, instead of one. It was a requirement for all members of the royal family to attend, so they definitely couldn't leave the children behind... not that they would have wanted to. With so many of the royal family travelling, they had to be accompanied by a substantial security detail. That would have left the castle relatively unguarded.

Reina wasn't looking forward to all the ceremonies she had to attend. She'd had to cast stronger spells to alleviate the pressure of her feet – the babies were so heavy.

Through his grip on her waist, her husband turned her back towards him so that he could massage her. She hummed appreciatively – Delwyn often did this without prompting, set on doing his part as the father.

"Are you nervous?" he asked.

She shook her head, her long hair tickling the hands rubbing her back and Cadeyrn's face as the baby cooed in her arms. "I'm excited."

Reina had looked into the Great Coral extensively. A deity living amongst them in a physical form... such a thing was unheard of back on the surface.

"Of course you are," Delwyn laughed. "I wish you were as enthusiastic about our wedding."

Reina sighed. "I understand the necessity of the ceremony," she said tonelessly.

"But you don't like it."

She smiled. "I love you and I'll do it for you."

He kissed her forehead.

"Good. Because I won't be shortening any part of the ceremony this time. We'll be experiencing it in its entirety."

Reina knew that her husband wanted to do everything by the book, to make up for their farce of a wedding before. Therefore, he would have no mercy on her.

Well... it's fine, as long as he stays by my side through the entirety of it.

The last few weeks of Reina's life had been some of her happiest. Getting to be by his side, spend time with her children, contribute to the country she'd decided to call her own...

It almost makes everything I've endured worth it.

His arms slipped around her neck as he kissed the temple closest to him. "What are you thinking about?"

"You."

He blinked. "Well, yes, of course. But what exactly about me are you thinking about?"

Her husband had gotten quite cocky about her feelings for him.

Reina spun around in his arms so that she could face him. "I think... that if I had to re-do my life, I'd choose to do everything exactly the same because it led me to meeting and being with you. You've made everything in my life worthwhile, Delwyn."

"What, even that bitter training that rendered you incapable of love?"

Reina nodded. "Even that. You're worth it."