Episode 3.2: Evasion

I ran as fast as I could despite my mind telling me to get back to Barry. I hate to leave him behind but there was no way I would miss my appointment with the kidnapper.

"Give it up, Mr. Wake!" Agent Nightingale's voice yelled from the top. "C'mon, make it easy for us!"

As I kept running, footfalls were heard from the top, getting closer to my position. Agents' voices and strict commands from agents filled the air. I did not bother to listen to what they were saying and I ran through a path that led me to somewhere I did not know.

"Move it, move it, move it!" Agent Nightingale demanded. "I'll have your jobs if you let him get away!" Sirens covered the voices of agents, overpowering them with its piercing signature-siren.

I panted profusely after running a lot but I chose to jog instead of walking, knowing that I would be shot and sent to jail. I could not afford that. I jogged and saw the red and blue lights moving around in the misty air, stopping at a bridge in front of me. Fortunately, the bridge was much higher than me and anybody who dared to jump down might break his legs. The wind blew strongly from the top, passing by me with the sound of the helicopter hovering past. I attempted to hasten even though I felt my lungs about to kick open. I would rather run and be half-dead than be shot and end up half-dead while feeling the pain running through my veins.

I ran past the bridge, moving along the darkness but it was broken with the ray of light shining through the darkness, breaking the curtain of darkness that revealed my position.

"There he is!" one of them screamed. "We have the suspect in sight!" I moaned while evading them by running away, guided by the unknown path that my instincts took me.

"Okay, men!" another voice ordered. "Keep your eyes peeled, he's gonna try to make it through here!"

The pinkish lights lit up the area and I recognised it with the flare. How could I forget the flare that had once protected me from the minions of the dark? It was ironic that the same weapons that I have used to protect me became my enemy in an instant while the darkness became a friend of mine, giving me cover to get me through the cops. Flesh-hungry bullets came for me but they only hit the ground. The dirt sprinkled on my pants as I attempted to escape. Their voices became more frantic with each passing seconds. The lights behind me got brighter, breaking the shade of darkness once more.

"There he is!" a voice erupted from the night again. Frantic voices filled the air once more with the guns barking at me and the bullets either whizzing past me or bouncing off the rocks and rocky surface. 

I ran even faster now, ignoring my pounding chest and my tired legs. I had to lose them somehow. I managed to run faster, moving from the flashlight into the darkness that hid me from certain harm once more.

"Dammit!" another voice yelled. "Where is he?!"

"He's slipped away! Keep an eye out!" he warned.

I smirked as I moved on. I have ditched the police and I was finally safe for me to move. The path made its incline slightly, forcing me to move up despite my weariness.

"He's gone! C'mon, guys, we need to head him off," Agent Nightingale's voice echoed. I knew that this wasn't good. It has shown that I was not totally off the hook. They were still looking for me.

The darkness howled in the night once more, reminding me that the darkness had become my enemy once more. Just as I ran out of the woods, a police car flipped out of the woods, crashing loudly in front of me. I stared at the police car. It was definitely beyond repair with smoke flowing out of the car boot and it was out of shape. The state of the car was worse than an elephant stomping on it. The only thing that allowed me to recognise the police cars was the red and blue lights on the top of it. I would have moved on but there was valuable information coming out of the car, chattering with the static.