Chapter 18

The next morning Clara lay in bed staring up at the ceiling, her eyes were sore and bloodshot. She hadn't slept for the rest of the night, she couldn't, out of fear that the moment she closed her eyes she'd cause something else to happen, her abilities would take over and destroy the pack house. Instead, she let the nights events replay over and over in her head. Drew lay next to her on the bed, snoring lightly. He'd try to stay up with her but had fallen asleep a couple of hours ago. Clara didn't wake him, he looked so peaceful sleeping and she knew he needed some rest. A knock on the door made Clara jump a little, she turned and shook Drew's shoulder gently.

"Drew, someone's at the door." She spoke softly, but he didn't wake. Instead he groaned a little bit and shifted. She smiled at his reaction and climbed out of the bed. Walking over to the door she wondered who it could be, was it Maggie or Edward or someone else? It was so early, the sun had only just risen, why on earth was someone knocking at the door at this hour? She reached for the handle, covering the cold metal knob with her fingers. As the door creaked open slowly show peered through the crack but couldn't see anybody there. Frowning she opened the door wider, but nobody was at the door. All that was there was a small red envelope on the floor. She bent down and picked it up, before stepping out the room and into the hallway to see if there was anyone there. Nobody. The hallway was empty. Clara frowned, and shrugged her shoulders as she headed back into the room and closed the door quietly. She looked over at Drew who was beginning to stir awake. His eyes fluttered open and when he looked over at her he smiled.

"Morning love. What you got there?" She walked back over and took a seat on the bed next to him. Looking down at the envelope, she turned it over trying to see who it was for but there was nothing written on it.

"I don't know. Someone left it on the floor outside the door." Drew watched as her delicate fingers opened the envelope and pulled out what was inside. It was a photo, but he couldn't see what of properly. Clara gasped and dropped the photo on the bed, her whole body began to shake in fear. Drew frowned and grabbed it and immediately frowned. The photo was of Clara pushing the young girl from the nursery on the swings. In the corner of the photo written in red marker was a note.

One day we'll have one of our own.

Immediately after looking at the picture Drew's blood began to boil. His face scrunched up in anger and he jumped up from the bed.

"Lock the door." He said sternly before storming out of the room, photo in hand. As he thudded down the hallway, his breathing sharp and heavy, he used every ounce of will in his body to hold down his angered wolf. He couldn't lose control; he couldn't let his wolf take over. If he did, it would not end well. He marched down the hallway, until he reached his parents room and banged loudly on it. He didn't stop banging until it opened revealing his Father in the same pyjamas and dressing gown as he'd worn in the kitchen that evening.

"Son, what's wrong?" His Father croaked out, still half asleep. He looked confused at Drew's angry state. Drew tried to compose himself to talk and not scream.

"Who knew we were here? Who knew about last night?" His Father looked at Drew still confused and shook his head. Drew looked past Edward and to his Mother who was now sat up in bed just as confused as her husband.
"WHO KNEW WE WERE HERE?!" He roared causing Maggie to jump as her sons burst of rage.

"Nobody, we hadn't spoken to anyone yet. Why? What's happened?" His Father stuttered out, unsure of what had gotten his son so worked up. Drew pushed the photo into his Fathers chest before turning and walking back down the hallway.

"We're leaving. Now." Drew said as he walked away. His fists clenched by his sides, he walked back to his room. When he reached the door he stood outside, not making a sound or knocking, he needed to calm down before he went in. He didn't want to lash out at Clara and scare her or end up in a blind rage shifting to his wolf. Normally in his wolf form Clara would be safe with him, but with house his anger was at the time it would be dangerous, even for her. Taking a few deep breaths and counting to ten he calmed himself down enough to be able to go in.