Chapter 14 - One Giant Spider

Start from the beginning

The spider took one step towards me and this time, there was no stopping it. I opened my mouth and screamed – as loud and as hard as I could – as I jumped up the sofa.

I was still screaming when I saw shadows emerge beside the spider. It cleared quickly and in the center of it was Hades, his sword was drawn and murder clear in his eyes. He wore his full battle armor just like that day with the Furies.

The spider then changed into a very beautiful woman who had long flowing black hair and was wearing a simple white dress. She threw back her head and started to laugh.

Hades sighed and shook his head. He put his sword back in its scabbard tied at his waist. "Stop that," he reprimanded the girl who was previously the scary, creepy spider.

"Sorry. I just get a kick out of doing that," the ex-spider replied.

He walked towards me and placed his hand under my chin, tilting my head upwards so I could meet his gaze. And just like every other time, looking directly into those grey eyes of his blew my mind away.

"Are you alright?" he asked softly.

I could only nod. Beside me, I heard the gems and Arachne's handmaidens sigh like they just saw the cutest puppy in the entire world. That got me blushing to the tips of my hair. I looked away.

"Good," Hades told me. He turned to face the spider. "Don't scare my queen," he said to her. It was supposed to be another reprimand but I heard the teasing in his tone.

The girl bowed. "I'm sorry, your majesty. It won't happen again."

"Good," Hades repeated. The corner of his lips turned up in a half-smile half-smirk that just got me paralyzed again. This time it was because I wanted to stare at him. I could even do it all day but that's just weird and creepy.

"I'll leave you to it then. See you later, my queen," he said as he lifted my hand and kissed it while staring into my eyes. That thing he did just about melted me into a puddle of goo.

I sighed. I'd admit the attraction was there. Who wouldn't be attracted to someone like him? But the point here is that's not all there is to a relationship. There's so much more to it and that's what we have to figure out.

Since I was a little girl, I've dreamt about falling in love. The guy and I would have our meet-cute moment and then we'd fall head over heels for each other. He'll be my knight-in-shing-armor and I won't be a damsel in distress because we'd be equals; partners. We'd get married in a small ceremony by the beach with only close friends and family. We'd probably have two kids and I'd wish with all my heart that it would be a boy and a girl. There will be bumps down the road but nothing we can't handle because no one will ever be able to take away our happily ever after.

Thinking about it now, it all sounded like a fairytale.

I sighed again and watched as shadows formed around Hades before he vanished.

"Sorry about that again, your highness. My name is Arachne," the ex-spider introduced. I was still shaking as I took the hand she offered.

She laughed once more. "Please. Don't do that again," I told her and then joined in on the fun and laughed. Thinking back about the entire scene, it was indeed hilarious.

"Why do you turn into a spider in the first place? Just for shits and giggles?" I asked her.

She frowned. "I do not understand what shits and giggles mean." She looked at her handmaidens who seemed just as confused as her.

"Errr... Nevermind."

"All spiders came from me. I am the first spider. A few millennia ago, I was a maiden just like you. I spun threads in the morning and weaved and weaved all throughout the afternoon and the night. People came from all over the world just to see my work. It was said that there was no cloth that can compare to my work. They also said that my weave seemed to be made of sunlight and the threads made of gold," she explained with pride.