Emma

It's a really nice day for a hike. Again I chose to spend the day with Caleb instead of roping a sibling into a hike. They can never sit still long enough for me to finish painting, which means they either have to leave halfway or I can't paint to my heart's content.

Caleb, however, can sit the whole time happily with his laptop, and even make the whole thing more pleasant. I feel like I'm inspiring him when he asks questions for his story, and it's infrequent enough not to distract me from painting. Quite a talent.

"What are you thinking about, Emma?" Caleb asks, smiling brightly at me.

The leaf shadows play across his face, the sunlight flashing across his eyes.

"It's nice to be here with you." I tell him.

It's good to verbalize appreciation, I've learned.

We walk on down the etherially beautiful trail, tall trees, birdsong and sunlight filling us with peace.

Time doesn't seem to pass here, but we reach the site I know I need to paint. A tunnel of trees leading to a lake, branches sticking out of the water near the shore, a distant shore with faded trees and a pier.

I look over at Caleb to see what he thinks of it, and find him glancing at me too. He glances away with a nervous grin.

I keep looking at him, though. He's become such a big part of my life lately, and made it brighter for his presence.

The trees at our sides of us give an impression of privacy, and the comfortable mood gives me courage.

"Caleb." I start.

He looks at me, and I suppress my initial urge to glance away as I say what I'm about to say.

"Do you want to try going out?"

He looks uncomprehending for a moment, staring blankly at me.

"Going out? You mean.. Dating?"

I chuckle nervously.
"Well, yes."

He glances down, smiles, and looks back at me, his pure smile hitting me like a beam of sunlight.

"I'd love to." he says.

We stand there stupidly for another moment, seeming far from reality in the haze of sunlight and tiny moving leaves.

What happens next?

Caleb leans forward, and I hear his heart beating hard from the tiny distance between us.

"Can I kiss you?" he asks, pausing.

"Sure." I breathe.

And I share a beautiful first kiss with him underneath the whispering trees.