Chapter 1

"Hero Fitchett."

Petrine Tollman's voice rings through the crowd. Her bright yellow wig blew in the breeze. Its my third reaping and I knew I would get picked eventually. Especially since my name was in the bowl 36 times this year. My family didn't need extra food, but I had been training my whole life for the games so I took the tesserae.

Not many people in district 7 train for the hunger games. Oh who am I kidding. No one does. I am the only one. The only one to ever train. Besides my hero Johanna Mason. She trained with an axe her whole life before she was reaped. Ever since I was old enough to understand the hunger games I wanted to be like her.

The next thing I know, I'm being escorted up onstage. I knew it was coming but the shock of being reaped is too much to handle. I want to cry but I know that in doing so, the other tributes will find me weak. But maybe that's what I want. That's how Johanna won. No they'll expect that. I have to stay strong.

"And now for the boys." Petrine calls in her high pitched capitol accent. "Rolland Briggs."

I look into the crowd and see a boy in the 17 section with a startled look on his face. I recognize him from somewhere but I can't put my finger on it. Probably in one of my classes. But he's two years older than me, it couldn't be that. I'll figure it out later.

We shake hands and I rack my brain for some memory of the boy standing in front of me.

Two years before

I stood in the garden near my house picking flowers when two boys who look about sixteen came over and started teasing me.

"Who are you picking flowers for?" One boy asked.

"My mom."

"Oh that's sweet. I bet your mommy will love having flowers to put on your grave when you die in the games." He had obviously seen me training.

"I won't die." I retorted. "And if I do, it wont be in vain."

"The way you fight it wont be in vain it'll be in pain."

I wanted to cry but I knew they would only tease me more.

Then my anger took over. I lunged at the boy, knocking him over. But he rolled over so that he was on top of me, pinning me to the ground. The boy grabbed my neck in both of his hands and started choking me. I couldn't breath. I desperately needed air. And as if someone had heard me, the boy's hands loosened and he was thrust off of me by a tall boy with brown shaggy hair. He told me to run and I did, leaving behind the flowers I was picking for my mother.

"Come, come," Petrine says, "we don't want to miss the train."

"But don't we get to say goodbye to our families?" Rolland asks.

"Oh course. I forgot."

I'm led into a small room with only a bookshelf and a chair. Soon after my mother bursts into the room sobbing. She hugs me telling me to stay safe. I promise her I will come home. Then my father comes over and embraces me gently. I feel so safe in his arms.

"Keep her safe." I tell him. Then after a pause I add, "Please."

"I always will." He replies.

I feel bad leaving them but I have too. My district has only had four victors in 73 years. I am going to make it five. This is what I've trained my whole life for. I have to win. For my family. For me.

It seems like only 30 seconds has passed but I know the time is up when three peacekeepers barge into the room. They drag my screaming mother away. Then I'm left alone. A few minutes later my best friend Chase barges into the room. I run to him and wrap my arms around his neck. He's a full foot taller than me so I have to stand on my toes, but I hug him nonetheless.

"You can win this." He tells me. "I know you can."

"I will." I say into his shoulder.

"I love you so much and I'll miss you every minute."

"I love you too."

He smiles down at me and kisses my cheek before he leaves.

Then I break down. I cant handle it anymore. Its too much to take in. I'm going into a fight to the death. There's only one winner. What are the odds that I come out? Very slim. But I can still try. I have to. I don't have a choice. I need to come back.
________________________________________________________________________
A/n - I hope you like this so far it may not be the best grammar and I'm sorry if some of the spelling is wrong.

I know the goodbye between Hero and Chase was a lot like katniss and gale but I honestly didn't realize that until after I wrote it. And i was too lazy to change it.

Also I need help with who Hero should end up with so I'll see what you think in the next few chapters. I also need a better title so please help if you have any ideas. Thanks.

Byeeeee -Baggy