10) Family dinner

Start from the beginning

"Oh my boss told me he's giving me a free dinner with you guys at the restaurant as a thank you for my extra shifts," she pulled out a signed cheque  from her pocket and showed it to us, "Get ready, we'll be leaving at 6!"

Guilt flooded me and I scratched the back of my neck, looking at the ground, "I'm sorry Mum... as soon as I finish this year of college, I'll look for a job..."

I seriously need to start getting a part-time job. I'm eighteen and am not working.

Then again, neither does Pri or Eli.

Immediately, two palms placed themselves on my cheeks and lifted my face up, where I faced my mum's glare, "Listen to me Noah, and you listen to me well." 

Oh dear.

"You will not be getting a job until you finish college and start university," Mum declared with no room for argument. Just as I was about to open my mouth to say something back, she spoke up, "You help enough at home by looking after James and May and by cooking and chores, I don't want you having such a packed schedule at eighteen."

Mum kissed my forehead and ruffled May and James hair. With that, she turned around and walked into the apartment humming a soft melody that she used to sing to us when we were kids.

"Yes, Mum." With a sigh, I smiled and took my siblings by the shoulders and lead them to our rooms. 

"Let's see what fancy things we have to wear."

Time flew by and soon it was already 6. The three of us came down at the call of mum's voice. At the sight of mum my eyebrows shot up in surprise and shock. Mum was wearing an ankle length black dress that hugged her body with a split that came mid thigh. She had see through long sleeves and was holding a plain black clutch with small diamonds decorating the sides.

Me, James and May all gaped at mum in awe. Everything from her loose curled up hair to her black high heels were gorgeous.

Her light coloured hair fell in small curled up clumps around her shoulders, flowing down just to graze the beautifully carved platinum necklace that hung loose around her neck.

"Damn Mum, who you tryna impress," I teased and studied her lightly worn makeup and dangling earrings. She laughed and slapped my arm playfully. Mum was naturally beautiful, she didn't really need a lot of make up to show how pretty she is. 

Reason why I turned out so good.

Heh.

Naturally, I guess my two younger siblings came out with good genes too. I guess.

"Are you going to have a boyfriend?" Squealed May and she clutched James's arm who was still flabbergasted by the Mum's beauty, "James we're going to have a dad!"

"Ha, first time? I saw Mum even more beautiful at Jacob's and her wedding," I grinned.

... Well, I was three and don't remember anything but uh, they don't need to know that.

But I've seen pictures of her on her wedding day and boy, was my Mother stunning. Honestly, I've never seen another woman more gorgeous than her.

And of course, I never will.

"Wow," James breathed, not even hearing May's remarks, "Mum you don't even look thirty-nine."

 Mum flushed pink from embarrassment at all the compliments and shooed them away with a wave of her hand.

"What? Can't I look good for my own self and family?" She questioned and shoved us towards the door. 

I was wearing a simple plain black tuxedo and tie, same with James.