0.6

HOW YOU GET THE GIRL 0.6

age: 16

the music was frustratingly loud in the school hall, and the lights were flashing multicoloured rapidly. sweaty bodies melted into one another. everyone was dressed up as fictional characters, as that was the theme of prom.

I stood at the side by the punch bowl, dressed in a baby blue dress that went up to my knees. over the top I wore a white pinafore and pretty little black brogues. my hair was out and flowing in gold ringlets over my shoulders, a black ribbon used as a headband on my head. Alice in Wonderland had been my favourite book as a kid, and so I'd took this opportunity with great pleasure.

about 50% of the girls were dressed in typical animal outfits. I saw girls with pink rabbit ears and tutu mini skirts, and others in black cat woman costumes. a lot of the guys were dressed as superheroes.

I poured myself some of the bright pink punch, hoping it was spiked so maybe I could distract myself from the inevitable loneliness I would be feeling tonight.

Daniel had taken me to prom, dressed as Captain America, but as soon as we got into the venue he'd blended into the crowd of bodies. we weren't an official thing, but he'd take me out sometimes and we'd kiss sometimes. it was nice; simple, even.

I don't know why, but I'd started almost ignoring Ashton, because we'd drifted. there were only 8 charms on my bracelet as of prom, the previous 2 years all I'd had of him was a card. the bracelet was a constant nagging reminder that I'd lost him, and I had no idea why I still wore it.

the punch tasted bitter, and my suspicions of it being spiked were confirmed. I finished of the cup i'd just poured myself, then poured another, and another.

eventually it hurt my head to think about things too much, so I took a deep breath and emerged into the crowd. bodies bumped into me repeatedly, I was pretty sure someone touched my butt at one point. but I kept moving through the crowd. I felt like I was swimming, or maybe that was the alcohol. somewhere near the middle, someone's extended leg tripped my up, and I fell face first onto the cold, hard gym floor below everyone's feet. no one seemed to notice, but why would they notice me?

brushing my hair from my face, I stumbled up. as I got my balance back, someone took me by the shoulder and span me around. I came face to face with Peter Pan, more commonly known as Ashton Irwin. I giggled uncontrollably.

⠀"are you wearing tights?" I slurred.

⠀"come on, Cassie," he sighed. I shrieked suddenly as he took my waist and lifted me up, putting me over his shoulder and then wading through the crowd. when did he get so strong?

he took me out into the empty corridor and placed me gently against a locker, kneeling in front of me.

⠀"are you drunk?" he sighed, taking off his Peter Pan hat and running his hand through his hair. it seemed like he was struggling to be angry at me.

⠀"your hair is so fluffy!" I giggled, reaching my hand out to feel it. Ashton took my wrist before I could, giving me a soft smile.

⠀"why don't you like me, Ash?" I asked, hiccuping.

⠀"what?" he asked.

⠀"you hate me!" I was starting to shout now.

⠀"Cas, I could never hate you." he whispered, taking my face in his hands. "never ever."

I started laughing and crying now, my throat started to feel sore.

⠀"I better take you home." he said, helping me up again.

CAN U IMAGINE ASHTON DRESSED AS PETER PAN IM ACTUALLY SCREAMI NG