a letter in the red bag

The days are bad, worse even the dreams turned into worst nightmares. The camp is full of soldiers resting for a while as we dont know when we need to move. My hands are shaking with fear, reminding my mother, who solemnly raised me. The joy I had with her, she doesnt even let me think of my father who deserted us when I was young. She is a great woman. She was young when my father left us, many suggested her to remarry. She denied them putting me in her mind. She never uttered anything bad about my father, also he was always in her prayers. I remember nothing about my childhood even my father, I lost his only photograph left during an earthquake when we left for a new settlement. My only wish is to see her before I die. When I was eighteen I was signed to be a soldier and I was with them thereafter. It has been five years far from her. I feel even if I die but I want my mom to see me as a whole but not shattered into pieces. The siren blown, all the soldiers were asked to gather. I hurriedly, put my mothers photo I bought along with me in my pocket, and left.

The officers were happy. They just got some good news from higher officials. The Colonel took the duty of announcing my sons, the great-great war has come to an end. It is 1945, September after seven long years the war is done. We are alive to fulfill our dreams. We fought like it was our last breath, our every last drop of blood gives rise to a new idea which makes us even stronger. I am proud to say, we emerged as the most powerful nation the world has ever seen. This is time for celebrations, enjoy yourselves, sons, we made it. He left motivating us. There was a huge noise as the captains started blowing the guns in the air as a sign of victory. The lights were on, songs started playing, the drinks were filling the hungry soldier's thirst. There were few people, who wanted to leave. I was one of them. we met our commander, informed him. He was happy to see us all alive. He took our weapons, gave some food and money to pay expenses on the journey. We had a knife, a bag of our belongings some food and water. It was early in the morning. We had to have a daily walk to get some transport. We started.

On our way, we talked about a lot of things. Cracked jokes, rested for some time, and again moving. It was a lot of fun returning to home after a lot of time. expecting how they receive us, some thinking about there children who they left and meeting after a long time. parents waiting for them etc. As we were talking the sun has set and we reached a small village, where we can find some transport the next morning. We went there, the villagers gave good respect. They welcomed us in a great way. They provided us a great supper. It was like heaven, eating homemade soft bread with well-cooked fresh meat after a long time. Our stomachs were full. They gave us someplace to sleep. I was asked to sleep in an old man's house as he is living alone and I can find someplace over there.

He welcomed me, offered some wine. I accepted it. He cleaned the room and asked me to rest over there. He gave me a good hosting. I was happy with him. He asked me where was I going. As I told him, he asked me to drop a letter which is in the red leather bag. He handed it to me. It was a small favor expecting from me after a good service he gave. I felt it as a thanksgiving return favor and put it in my bag. He asked me to take rest and moved to his room. We slept there. In the morning when I woke up, I found him dead in his room. He was cold when I touched him as he was not responding to me. The villagers gathered there, they told me he was suffering from illness, and told me I had done no mistake and it is their mistake in providing me trouble. He has no one so some of them thought of performing his funeral the same day. All of my batch mates left and I was alone there attending his funeral. He served me all night and this may be the way I can pay him back putting some sand on his grave. the funeral was over, I left by taking the red bag.

I caught a van on my way which takes me to Veneta, there I can drop the letter and go back home to see my mother. I was bored with the journey. It takes five more hours to reach Veneta. I opened the red bag, to read the letter. I felt it as indecency, but my curiosity overtook my decency. I opened the bag, there was a letter packed in brown color, having the address where I need to give it and written to my loved ones. I opened the cover, the letter reads,