Soda's Sick?

In my sickened state, I feel myself being submerged into ice cold water. I want to scream, to tell them to get me out. It's too cold.

***

I come back into a conscious state and I'm laying on the bed only wearing a white shirt and underwear. The blankets are wrapped up tight around me, the warmth comforting my cold body.

I look over at the window and notice that it's dark outside. I wonder how long it's been since I passed out.

I sit up, ignoring the pounding in my head. I lean over to grab the glass of water that's been placed on my nightstand and greedily take a drink. My throat is dry and scratchy, and my lips are becoming chapped. 

I place the water back on the nightstand and lay down, letting myself drift off to sleep again.

***

The next morning, I wake up as the sun is rising, and I wonder just how long I've been asleep for. I throw the covers off me and stand up, putting my hand on the wall to support me just in case I decide to fall over.

My head spins for a long minute and then the feeling subsides. Quietly, I open the bedroom door and walk out into the kitchen. My stomach is growling, and I realize that I haven't eaten anything since what, yesterday morning? The day before? I can't even remember what day it is. 

I grab a banana from the counter and slowly eat it, not wanting to get sick again. When I've successfully finished the banana, I head back into my room and lay down. I try to process everything that's happened within the last several days. It doesn't feel real. It feels like I've been asleep for the past several days and that's why I can't remember anything. 

***

Soda's POV

I wake up feeling nauseous, and there's a ringing in my head. I groan and sit up, willing the feeling to subside. No such luck. The ringing lingers and I am granted no relief. I consider telling Darry, but then decide not to because he already has his hands full with Pony.

Sighing, I get out of the comfy bed and go out into the kitchen where Darry's sitting at the table, coffee in hand. I head straight to the ice box and grab the milk. I greedily take a drink and put it back in its rightful place. As I shut the door, I notice my head beginning to swim.

"Oh lord," I whisper, putting my hand on the counter to steady myself. Sensing that something is wrong, Darry turns around and asks, "Soda, what's wrong?"

"I think I'm getting sick," I murmur, giving up the truth and knowing that he'd find out eventually. "Oh, Soda. Go back to bed and I'll call your boss," he says.

I trudge down the hallway and back into my room before flopping on the bed. I pull the covers tight around my shivering body and drift off to sleep.

***

Pony's POV

When I wake up I'm aware of the faint sound of retching. I sit up and notice that my headache has been replaced with relief. I sigh, thankful, but then wonder who's puking up their guts in the bathroom. Maybe Two-Bit had too much to drink. 

I decide to go back to sleep, relishing in the silence that has now replaced my pounding headache.

***

A few hours later, I'm wide awake. I get out of bed and go out into the kitchen, deciding that I really want some cake.

I'm surprised to see Two-Bit at the table looking sober and drinking chocolate milk. "Two-Bit," I say, and he turns his attention to me. I continue, "Was that you in the bathroom earlier?" 

He shakes his head and says, "No, my friend. That was your brother, Soda. Darry said that he wasn't feeling good at all this morning." Shit, I think. Did I give him my fever?

I ask, "How is he now?" "Tired, I would imagine." Then, as if he can read my mind says, "I know what you're thinking. You didn't get him sick." We both grin and I say, "You know me too well, Two-Bit." "Don't I know it," he says, before taking a long sip of his milk.

Then I ask, "How long have I been out of it?" He swallows and answers, "About a week. After Darry put you in that freezing cold water your temperature went down, but you slept on and off for three days." "Shit," I say, wondering how much schoolwork I'll have to make up.

Darry comes into the kitchen, looking tired and haggard. He pours himself some coffee and joins Two-Bit at the table while I get myself a piece of cake. "Feeling better I see," he says, eyeing my cake. "Yeah," I say. "Go easy on the chocolate, kiddo," he says as I practically devour my piece. With a mouthful, I say, "I am going easy. I don't know what you're talking about." He rolls his eyes as Two-Bit laughs and I grin.