Finding Out

When I wake up, I'm no longer in the chemistry classroom. 

Instead, I'm laying on a cot in the nurse's office. I try to open my eyes but the room is bright, so I let out a moan and close my eyes again. 

I hear the scrape of a chair and then a female voice is saying, "You're up." 

I ask, "How long have I been out?" 

The nurse says, "About an hour. You have a very high fever and it caused you to pass out. Why'd you come to school today?"

 I sigh. "I just didn't want my brothers to worry about me. I figured it would pass." 

She tsks and then sticks a thermometer in my mouth. I hold it under my tongue until it beeps and then she pulls it out. 

"100.1," she says. I stay silent as she goes to discard the used thermometer and then she exits the room.

***

She returns a few moments later and says, "I gave your brother a call. He told me he'd try to make it here as soon as possible." 

I groan and ask, "Which brother?" 

"Darrel," she says. I lay an arm over my eyes and sigh. 

Great, I think. This will be fun to explain.

***

About a half hour later I wake up again and hear voices from out in the hallway. I open my eyes and look around the room. 

Suddenly the door swings open and Darry walks in looking none too happy. The nurse shuts the door behind her and then it's just me and Darry.

He sits at the edge of the cot and gives me a look before asking, "Why didn't you tell me or Soda that you weren't feeling well?" 

I give up the fight. Instead of making some excuse that I'm fine, I say, "I didn't want you guys to worry." 

He chuckles and says, "Kiddo, we're your brothers. It's our job to worry." 

It's silent for a moment before he asks, "How're you feeling right now?"

"Like I got run over by a truck," I say.

Darry admits, "You look like it," before ruffling my hair.

***

The nurse comes back in a few moments later and says, "You may take him home now. Just sign him out and he's free to go."

Darry thanks her and then helps me stand up. He asks, "You think you can make it to the truck without falling over?"

I say, "I think I can manage," as I pick up my chemistry book and walk with Darry out the door.

He stays by my side as we slowly make our way through the hallway to my locker. I unlock the door and then grab my textbooks and papers so I can shove them into my backpack. 

When my vision suddenly blurs again, I say "Whoa," before grabbing Darry's arm. 

He steadies me and then asks, "You alright?"

My vision clears and I respond, "I think so," before continuing.

***

We finally get outside, and I'm happy when I see that Darry's truck is parked right outside the school entrance.

Darry helps me inside the passenger seat and shuts the door before making his way to the driver's side.

He turns on the ignition and takes us away from the school and back to the house.

***

I open my eyes when I feel the truck stop and unbuckle my seat belt when I see we've made it home. 

Darry comes around to my side and helps me out of the truck. 

He supports me the whole way to the house and unlocks the door with one hand. 

As we make our way into the house, Darry promptly tells me to sit on the couch, and I obey him, not wanting to stand any longer.

I lay down and curl into myself, closing my eyes and wanting to sleep the sickness away.