Chapter 2: The Eastside

Katie Aberdeen's POV
My eyes fluttered open to the searing light pouring in the attic bedroom. I grabbed the pillow on the left of the queen-sized bed and held it over my face to shield my eyes from the sunlight. Unfortunately, the down pillow couldn't protect my ears from the anxiety-inducing sound of the 8:00 am alarm ringing on my phone. Time to hit the shower and get ready for work. I throw the pillow across the room and it hits the wood with a light flop. I climb out of the bed and go around the wooden banister and down the stairs to the second floor of the house where my siblings and grandmother's room is. I tiptoe past the rooms, careful to not wake the sleeping beasts and find the second door on the right. I open the door quietly and shut it behind me quickly before locking it and leaning up against it, which as if on cue is soon followed by Amanda pounding on the door.

"Kathryn, open this door right now, I need to shower for school." Amanda hollers, unwary of the rest of the house that may still be sleeping.

"I'll be out in fifteen," I say through the door. I undress and climb in the shower. I got dressed in my uniform, threw my wet hair into a loose bun, put an apple in my mouth before grabbing my purse, and running out to my old Ford Focus. I started the engine and guided it out of the suburbs and into town. I find Dawson's Saloon and Restaurant, the most popular eatery in Colfax with Sal's diner coming in as a close second. I walk in the restaurant and wave to Halley, the morning hostess.

"Morning Katie." She waves back to me.

"Good morning Halley, hoping for a busy section today," I say over my shoulder as I walk across the lobby and to the wooden double doors that swing open to reveal a bustling kitchen. The head cook, Marvin Terrace is barking commands at the line cooks as Briana, the other morning server rings in her tables' orders.

(Victoria Pedretti as "Kathryn 'Katie' Aberdeen" )

"Good morning Marvin, boys and girls," I call down the line. 

"Mornin, Kay, let's get those orders in, chop chop girly." Marvin nods. A few of the other line cooks nod in acknowledgment. I find the scraped up wooden door in the back of the kitchen that seals off the manager's office from the commotion outside. I knock and wait for the door to open to reveal the general manager himself.

"Levi Colt, boy have I missed you the past two days." I grin. He merely rolls his eyes at this and opens the door wider and I enter, closing the door behind me. I'm pretty sure the manager's office was really meant to be a closet back when the first opened, based on the size. I find the corner where the old filing cabinet sits and I place my purse and jacket down between the cabinet and the safe. "Had a morning quickie with Briana, did we?" I frown as I place my thumb over a fresh dent in the filing cabinet as I rise from my squatting position. I then clock in on the computer that sits atop the filing cabinet.

"Who told you that?" Levi spins around in his office chair. He attempting to complete payroll.

(Martin Henderson as "Derek Leviticus-Colton aka Levi")

"Briana." I lie.

"Well, it's not true." Levi gives me the side-eye before turning back around to his computer.

"Normally you tell me it's no big deal or shrug it off. What gives?" I cross my arms and lean up against the wall.

"Katie, I don't really have time for this." Levi shakes his head but doesn't turn back around.

"Oh. It's because you know Allison Monroe is coming back today." I scowl and uncross my arms.

"Ali Monroe returning to Colfax today has nothing to do with me." Levi glares at me out of his peripheral vision.

"Oh but she's the girl who got away right? Don't think I don't remember you beaming at her from the kitchen of Sal's diner every time she sashayed her little cheerleader skirt in there." I scoff as I reach into my purse and grab my apron.

"Ali and I were never actually together." Levi turns around to face me as I tie my apron.

"And yet you loved her," I say as I finish the bow.

"Yeah..." Levi sighs quietly.

"Be honest with me, Levi...did you leave Colfax and join the army because Ali rejected your proposal?" I confront him.

"Does it make a difference? Whar's in the past is in the past, Katie." He snaps and throws the pen he was holding.

"Levi, take a breath, it was just a question." I kneel in front of him and grab his hands.

"Look I just...I saw Allison Monroe at the funeral two weeks ago...She's definitely not Ali." Levi leans back in his chair. He looks stressed and tired.  I get to my feet again and step back.

"I know that better than anyone else." I roll my eyes and open the door to leave the office. "Look Levi, just know I'm here for you, okay?" I linger in the door way.

"Thanks. You should get to work." Levi continues to stare at the computer screen, typing in numbers. A ping of sadness waves through me as I head out to the hostess desk to figure out my section for the morning. Levi is my best friend and I feel as though he's shutting me out. I knew how important Allison was to him and as usual she's doing the classic Ali move and stomping all over his heart while she wears that stupid 'I'm-so-innocent' smile. That's the one thing I could never stand about Allison. She did whatever she wanted and never faced the consequences of whoever she mowed down in her way. Examples of this would include her run for student council.