27 - Spotted Dick

"What do you mean the rent's already been paid?"

I was in the housing office trying to give the mean faced witch across the desk from me most of my hard earned gold, just as I did every month.

Except this time, she refused to take it.

"It's been paid up until the end of the year." She explained, unblinking from behind her middle aged glasses.

"But- but there must be some mistake?" I spluttered incredulously. "I haven't even got that sort of gold to pay up the whole year."

"Well, admittedly we don't usually take a years advance but a very persuasive young gentleman came in the other day rather persistent about paying your particular rent. And before I forget, we here at the housing association are aware that you helped Harry Potter save the world, and of course are all extremely grateful; unfortunately however, at this time, we do not have a discount scheme in place for heroes and their sidekicks."

I Apparated straight to Malfoy Manor, not caring if I was to bump into Lucius or Narcissa.

"DRACO MALFOY YOU GET YOUR FUCKING BUTT DOWN HERE THIS INSTANT AND LET ME SHOVE YOUR FUCKING BROOMSTICK UP IT!" I screamed into the intercom outside the locked gates.

The gates immediately rolled open, granting me access.

I stormed up the driveway, feeling my blood boil with fury as I saw a white-blond haired Slytherin emerge from the gothic manor's black oaken doors and race down the steps.

"Ronnie, look I can explain." Draco panted as he strode up to greet me.

"I AM NOT YOUR FUCKING WHORE!" I screamed in his face.

"I know you're not, Ronnie," he said, placing his hands on my upper arms, trying to placate me. "I just wanted to help you out. You deserve so much more than what you have been given in life. And I'm sorry. This is my way of trying to make it up to you and I'm not going to stop until I prove to you just how sorry I am."

"You know there's only one way you can do that, Draco," I muttered. "And it's the one thing you are refusing to do."

"Ronnie, if I don't marry her, then my parents are going to disown me. Her father is going to disown her! And not only that but Arnold Peverell is a powerful man, he can make things very, very ugly for everyone including you and your family. Don't you see? I'd be risking so much if I don't go ahead with it. But this way, we can make everyone happy without hurting anyone. She's gets to be with Blaise and I get to be with you."

"It's hurting me!" I cried. "You seriously expect me to stay hidden for the rest of our lives? And what about children? I presume the main reason your parents want you to marry is to carry on the oh so fucking important 'perfect' bloodline. Are you expecting Blaise and I just to be okay with you impregnating Bambi? Because I'm not being funny but they might just notice if Blaise is the one to knock her up!"

Judging by the fall of his face, it was obvious he and Bambi hadn't given their 'brilliant' plan any thought beyond fucking the ones they want to be with.

"We'll just tell them Bambi couldn't get pregnant." He shrugged after some thought.

"Oh, and she's absolutely fine with that is she? To not ever have children? And what about Blaise? Does he not deserve to become a father? I mean sure, I guess you could knock me up and keep me and our children hidden away from the world whilst I try and explain to them why Daddy goes home every night to his fucking wife! That's a life I've always dreamed about Draco!"

"Damn it!" Draco said driving his hands frustratedly through his hair. "This is just like sixth year all over a-fucking-gain!"

"Oh yes, when you chose trying to murder the headmaster over being with me?" I laughed incredulously. "It's comforting to know about all the things you choose over me, Draco."

"Ronnie, you're not being fair. You know my family was being threatened by You-Know-Who!"

"You're always being fucking threatened!" I scoffed. "Maybe you Malfoy's need to learn to grow back bones and start standing up to the bullies! Because that's what Bambi's father is - nothing but a lowly bully."

Sighing heavily, I reached into my pocket, pulling out the bag of gold I tried to deposit earlier. Draco stepped back, immediately realising what I was doing.

"Please Ronnie, I'm not taking that from you!"

"Tough shit because I won't be bought!"

"I'm not trying to buy you, Ronnie. That's not what this is about. You're my- my... friend, and I want to look out f-" he paused, looking over my shoulder. "Shit."

I wheeled round to see what had caused his horrified expression.

A large black car had just entered through the open gates, rolling down the driveway towards us.

"Who is it?" I asked, squinting my eyes at the approaching car.

"My father."

"Oh." Well this was sure to be fucking awkward.

"Just pretend you're here on catering business," he hissed as the car drew up besides us, coming to a halt.

The window slowly rolled down in the back, revealing the gaunt and hollow face of Lucius Malfoy. I tried to suppress a yelp; Azkaban had done nothing for his looks.

"Miss Weasley?" He said in deep long drawn out drawling tones that made Draco sound like a house elf in comparison. "And what do we owe this pleasure?"

The evident disgust on his face told me that he found nothing pleasurable about discovering a Weasley on his property.

"I just came to tell your son that no matter how much he wants it, I'm afraid I don't do Spotted Dick." I sneered, feeling a satisfaction at the derisive groan eliciting from Draco.

Something flickered across Lucius's face, and I could tell he was struggling to remain polite. His cold grey eyes fell upon the little bag in my hand.

"Is that gold, Weasley?" He drawled nastily. "My, my, I never thought I'd see the day. Imagine, Arthur's children actually achieving something he never could. Well, what's left of them, anyway."

The bag dropped from my shaking fingers, causing coins to scatter and roll everywhere. A red mist obscured my vision and blood roared in my ears.

"Father!" Draco spat, as he immediately bent down to gather up the gold, "that was completely uncalled for."

"Don't you dare pick gold up off the ground, boy! Especially by the feet of a Weasley!" Lucius roared. "You're a Malfoy!"

I needed to get out of there. Fury and hatred was making me shake so much that I could barely see.

I started marching towards the gates, which were thankfully still open, cursing the fact that I couldn't Disapparate off this stupid property.

"Ronnie!" Footsteps thundered behind me as I heard Draco desperately call my name.

But I didn't stop, I didn't want to be there a second longer than I had to. I had made a mistake coming to Malfoy Manor. All I had wanted to do was give Draco his gold and tell him to leave me the fuck alone.

But it seemed I had achieved neither of these things as Draco caught up with me just as I reached the gates, thrusting the bag of gold back in my hand before roughly pulling me into his arms and Disapparating the both of us away.

*****