Chapter 43: Lost in You

Comenzar desde el principio

"A handsome lad like him should be anything but," she stated while putting on her reading glasses.

I thought I couldn't be more embarrassed. Busy wishing to curl up and die, I'd forgotten Taehyung's request, and he had to get his hand into my pocket to grab the tickets on his own.

The elder took a look. "Forgive me, boys. The movie finished airing minutes ago. You must have gotten the wrong time."

How could I have allowed this? Did I confuse the airing time with another theater? Taehyung, I was sure, thought me an idiot for making such a mistake.

"No worries, I have no doubt we'll have something else to do." He bowed and took my hand. "Thank you anyway, ma'am. Have a nice day!" he called.

I needed it to be the perfect date.

"This is so awkward..." I mumbled on our way back to the car.

"What's with you today? You're a total mess."

"You're not helping," I said.

Taehyung chuckled. "We can watch a movie at my place. The day isn't ruined."

"Yet..."

I was beginning to give up. Every time I glanced at Taehyung, I wanted my plan to come true more than anything. The universe, however, wasn't cooperating.

He couldn't stop questioning what was wrong with me. We were sitting on his couch, and while the screen had his full attention, I was only able to focus on the man next to me.

"Mom! We're going to be late!" Dohyun ran across the living room before stopping at the front door.

"Where are you going?" Taehyung asked him and his mother.

Mrs. Kim followed the younger. "A birthday party," she answered. "I'll be out with him for a while, so don't burn up the place, do drugs, leave dead animals on the carpet, and so on..."

"You're staying there? Are you going to watch over the children?" he questioned.

She laughed. "The little devil's mom begged me to help preserve her sanity. Kids are complete nutters, and still, when the son asked him, Doh wanted to go. I guess because, after all, he's a kid as well," Mrs. Kim explained.

She attempted taking the child's hand, glared upon refusal, rolled her eyes, and left.

Taehyung leaned closer to my side and intertwined our fingers. "My baby brother had finally found a friend, aren't you proud of him?" he asked, snuggling into the crook of my neck.

Too close, he was too close.

"I-I am."

He giggled. "Sometimes, Jungkook, I wish I could read your mind."

Taehyung continued cuddling into me for the rest of the film, and his familiar scent and warmth made me snap out of the stage of panic. Silly me realized, my plan was already halfway to becoming a success.

I kept him pressed to me, started playing with his soft hair, and he rested his head on my shoulder, giving in to the sweet moment. "If only you were aware of the power you hold," I whispered. "You were confused when I was a wreck around you, yet blind to how I was trying to impress you..."

He gazed up. "You wanted to impress me? Why?"

"Because you are worth the trouble." I cupped his face, staring directly into his black orbs. "I made sure to wash the car inside out and didn't let anyone near it until I could drive you. I stayed up all night searching for the perfect movie after spending days hopping from cinema to cinema, trying their popcorn. Even the slightest bits of effort I put into my appearance today, along with using the best aftershave I'd stolen from Dad, was to give you the best of me."