Chapter 37: Friends

Start from the beginning

I laughed. "Such a bad boy..."

"Don't make fun of me! I already feel horrible." He leaned closer to my ear. "When the bell rings, you stay here and wait, and I'll go buy us muffins, both as a thank you, you are saving my ass after all, and a celebration, alright?"

The obnoxious theme song of a mainstream TV-show the head of the student console was obsessed with echoed through the hallways. Jungkook sprinted out the classroom in an attempt to leave the time for, what he had so hilariously called, delinquency. From its other side, Robert started approaching me.

"I see you're satisfied with your grade, that's awesome! I know your mother was stressing you out for that one," he began. "You must want to run home and shove it down her throat."

"That might be a problem since we don't actually... communicate... anymore," I said, earning a few confused blinks.

"What did she do this time?"

"That's odd," I stated. "I thought Jungkook had already told you. She made a big, ugly scene after I came out."

He gasped. "Dude, for real?"

"Mom almost kicked me out! I haven't at all spoken to her these past few days. I've spent most of them locked in my room or at Jungkook's, and she was aware of my whereabouts, Doh had told her but then reported she'd never reacted," I explained. "How come it never came up in your conversations with him?"

Robert's gaze lowered to the ground as a miserable pout crept to his face. "There weren't any," he admitted. "I can understand it, though. Kook's busy with your shit, and, I hope, being a good boyfriend. I'm also trying to figure out how to make a relationship work, and at this point, I should just be grateful I even have one..."

"Shut up." I hit his shoulder. "You're a cutie."

Robert chuckled. "Whatever. I do miss my old buddy, so I think we should make plans to catch up once we get the chance."

"Absolutely agree. Jungkook would love that."

"And you'll need to talk to your mother sooner or later as well. She sounds like a bitch, and still, I'm sure she'd be proud of your exam," said Robert. "You should tell her about your achievements."

Robert was right. Although Mom had dismissed all of my feelings as if none of them were valid, Robert was right. She'd humiliated me, turned her back to me when I needed her the most, and yet, I wished to believe Robert was right. That woman was capable of showing no compassion once I'd told her my most intimate secret... then, was Robert right?

I hid in the doorway while hearing her getting back from work, paychecks in one hand, and the physics exam in the other. That was it— I had no choice but to empty at least one of them.

Quiet, I walked up to her, helped my mother take off her light coat, and, staring down at the floor, handed her the entire stack of documents. She grabbed them with no hesitation.

"Is that your test...? Good, very good." She smiled at me. "Never knew you could be this smart."

Anxious, I looked upwards. "Th-thank you."

"Now, let me see..." She put on her reading glasses. "These two pieces of paper have a nice amount of money on them. I wish I could also get two paychecks each month. What's your excuse this time?" she questioned.

I glanced aside. "Err..."

"Mom!"

Dohyun busted into the kitchen, kicked my leg, grabbed Mom's hand, and dragged her away from me. I could only sigh in relief.

*

After that day, Mom and I had finally begun greeting each other anew when passing by. During the next few, the two of us had even exchanged a couple of lengthy sentences.

That was it.

The new morning's light had brightened my room up. Soon, I was out of bed, making my way to the living room after taking a shower, ready to spend hours watching television as my little brother kept locked in his room. My mother alone was insisting on being productive.

She was moving around with no rest, scrubbing the floor until it shined, then dusting every surface she came across. She ran from room to room, taking out endless garbage bags, washing the old rugs, and filling the air with the sweet perfume of Dad's favorite cleaning supplies. "You're not planning on working today, are you?" Mom asked, wiping sweat away from her forehead. "Don't start wasting your weekends again."

I shook my head.

"In that case, you should call some friends over," she said.

Slow and careful, I shook my head once more. "No need," I told her.

"There is a need. You've got to have a social life. I wasn't asking."

I bit my lip. "I can't have a friend here."

"Why not?" she said.

"I have two, one of them is busy, and the other one is Jeon Jungkook."

"Call him over then," I heard her. "I've never said he can't be here, just that he's not allowed into your bedroom."

"Th-there's a difference?" I asked.

She laughed. "Of course, there is! I have nothing against the guy. I've just cleaned up the place, you and Dohyun seem bored, so I'll welcome our guest with some snacks and let you play your video games."

I jumped up and kissed her cheek. "You're the best!" I run to grab my cellphone. "You're the fucking best!"

"Don't fucking swear at me!"

Jungkook's P.O.V

Hopping from leg to leg and humming cheerful melodies, I was on my way to Tae's home. At last, my boyfriend's mother not only allowed my arrival there but encouraged our friendship. The thought was enough to keep me happy for a month or two.

A familiar pair was moving my direction, fingers intertwined, giggling, and sharing goofy faces while walking down the street. It did not take long for one of them, Robert, to notice me.

"Hey, Kook!" he called. I greeted them with a smile and was ready to continue forward. "Maybe you should hang out with us. We didn't have a proper chat for quite some time..."

"I can't, sorry!" I hurried past them. "I'm going to Taehyung's."

"Alright, how about making a quick plan together...? Wait! Next weekend? Kook!"

Beaming excitedly, I knocked on my boyfriend's front door.

After Taehyung had let me in, a quick scan around made my jaw drop. "It's much neater here than I remember. The atmosphere is suddenly very calming," I said.

"Thank god!" A woman shouted from behind. "My sons haven't said a word, these pigs!"

"Mrs. Kim, thank you so much for—"

"Yeah, yeah... You're a good, polite kid. We get it," she said. "I don't hate you, Jungkook, and you and Taehyung can still be a nice couple of friends."

Dohyun glared at her. "They're a couple and friends."

"It's okay. I respect Mrs. Kim's rules," I told him.

The boy rolled his eyes. "Now, you're overdoing it..."

"Dohyun, quiet!" she commanded.

He obeyed after a small sigh, yet, the silence didn't last for long. Something crashed on the other side of the apartment.

Taehyung's mother immediately sprinted towards the noise. "No! No! NO! It's from your father's room!"

I read all comments and votes are highly appreciated. Thank you!