Chapter 15: Goody Two-Shoes

Start from the beginning

"Why is he so terrified? You didn't threaten to kill him for once," Robert questioned. "Oh no, have you done something?"

I continued walking to our favorite spot, hoping Robert would do the same. "Done something? What do you mean?"

"Have you... hurt him?" he asked.

I sat down, signing him to join me. "Still have no idea what you're getting at."

Since Robert did not receive a satisfying answer, he refused to leave the subject.

"So... I guess you've moved on from Ember?" Although I'd successfully dragged him away from the topic, Robert, without a doubt, was sharp enough to figure out what was going on, sooner or later.

While still chattering, gossiping about life, Kim Taehyung passed by, and we heard him sitting down underneath the opposite side of the tree. I led on the conversation.

Robert sneaked a glance at the boy's side. "He's been here for ten minutes, are you not mad? Irritated? Anything?" he whispered. I shrugged. "He's been following us the entire day too, I'm sure you've noticed, and you still couldn't care less?"

"He's not doing anything to you anymore, is he?" I told him.

"Quiet! He's right there... And yes, you're right, he hasn't made fun of me lately. Why is that?" I didn't reply. "Also, he looks at you with horror, seriously, it's even worse now. You must have done something."

I sighed. "Does it matter? You can let Taehyung sit here in peace. I gave him the permission to—"

"Wow, stop... Permission? What is going on between you two?!"

I sucked in my inner cheek. As much as I didn't want him to hear it, I failed at keeping in the desire to brag. Robert remembered best how nobody dared to mess with Kim Taehyung.

"Fine! I fuck him, and in return," I said, "he's allowed... I don't know, whatever, I guess, to be near me, talk to me..."

*

Robert caught up to me when I exited school gates. "Do you realize how fucked up that is?!"

"Just leave me alone, man, you've tried to lecture me too many times," I said.

"Are you kidding me?! Kim's in love with you! He's an asshole. I get it. Don't date him then," he continued. "What you're doing is so fucking wrong on so many fucking levels!"

"I didn't force him into it."

"So you pressured him instead. Face it, Kook, you think it's revenge for your pathetic ass getting kicked years ago, though I'm willing to bet it's way worse." I turned my back to him. "You're just another bully who gets off on others' pain, fucking literally! You're a horny bastard using him for sex and taking advantage of his feelings 'cuz you find him hot! It's fucking disgusting!"

"It's Kim Taehyung, do I have to remind you how you fucking cut yourself because of what that freak had done to you?!" I shouted. "WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING HIM?!"

"He's scared of you, you're abusing him, and he's still in love with this... monster!" he yelled. "Unbelievable..."

"Just shut up..."

"I won't, Kook, I won't shut up! He's lost everything he had, and he was on a path to becoming a better person. Don't you see how he's been following you like a street dog? He's desperate. You're the guy's hope, the idiot convinced himself you'd be there, and that you'd fall for him... He wanted you to save him, it's so fucking obvious, and now Kim's holding on for dear life and praying sex with you would distract him from how fucking miserable he is!"

He went on and on, barely breathing in between sentences, and I stayed in place, paralyzed. I couldn't speak or think. I was lost.

"Good fucking job, Kook! I hurt myself in middle school, so you become a part of another kid's act of self-harm. Great, morality is definitely on your side. You deserve another golden star, and this one would have the words 'A FUCKING SICKO' written on it!"

"A-and what do you want me to d-do?" I asked. "Do you want me to leave and let him rot?"

Robert's palms were twitching. "I see right through you now. That's what you would do if you gained nothing."

My throat tensed. "Robert, please... Both of us are into it, okay? You admit he needs me... let's not let what Taehyung and I have, ruin our friendship, I never assumed it would mean so much to you, but I don't... I can't stop—"

"Whatever." Robert took a deep breath. "You're crying..." he said while wiping away his own tears, "I can't see that without joining..."

"Let's just get home. C-can I walk you?" I asked.

Robert nodded, yet he did not utter another word. The entire way was silent as well.

Robert was always good at reading people; I meant much more to Taehyung than I wanted to believe. A couple of weeks beforehand, I wouldn't have cared.

At home, I was only capable of staring at the clock. I couldn't get the image of Taehyung wearing an apron while full of tears and anger, trying to get money as he was being yelled at and humiliated out of my head.

'You said something about having to get home earlier. It's alright if we take a one day break, my door is still open for you if anything, but you don't have to come. I trust you to find a way to make it up to me, I guess.'

I read all comments and votes are highly appreciated. Thank you!