Chapter 34: Apothecary

This chapter is brought to you by xue hua piao piao bei feng xiao xiao (一剪梅 Yi jian mei) by Jason Chen.

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

When Quill had proposed using hogroot powder and snakeweed nectar against the fickle nature of the Slave Emblem, he had been rather casual about the suggestion.

–and then grew very concerned by Neo's reaction... or lack thereof.

But what did Quill expect? That he would tell him off for even daring to utter the names of two plants banned by the Church?

Nazareth had already come across several different poisons and toxins. There was not one substance he hadn't experimented with.

Many of the seals and poisons he had made in the past had one unique trait, and the Slave Emblem was no different.

To prevent his products from being traced, Nazareth had the habit of using medicine as the main component of the poison and poisonous plants as the healing factor of the product.

In this world, poisons, medicines, elixirs, and draughts were produced through balance.

Although one plant was poisonous on its own, it could be turned into life-saving medicine when enough healing plants are added to the brew.

The scale between poison and medicine was a fine line many herbalists and healers had to walk in their research.

Nazareth simply took this rule and bastardized it.

If the theory stood that poison was the secret ingredient to making effective medicine then the same could be said for healing plants for poisons.

He called this the Theory of Poison, the basic principle of toxicology.

Interestingly enough, this theory was also discovered in the Modern World five hundred years ago in their own history.

It was said by a Swess chemist and scientist, "all things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison."

This type of theory was groundbreaking for many researchers, but while the Modern World was a scientifically advanced society known for its law and order, this world was not.

Trained healers lived by the rule of doing no harm. To even think of making poisons through the use of medicinal plants was practically blasphemous to their profession.

Alas, Nazareth had no moral restraints and lived by a rule of his own making.

He had been blessed with a talent for medicine and was nearly on par with the standards of the healing institute.

Resources and money weren't a problem since he was the son of a duke.

It could be said he was a very lucky person.

Herbalists, healers, and poison experts required years of academia, theory, and practicums to earn their certification. If their research ever led them to the theory of poison, those experts were more likely to keep the secret under lock and key in fear of the dangers the secret could inspire.

Nazareth should have been the last person to gain such insights, but the gods were unfair.

When Nazareth came to the same conclusion as the Swess chemist... well, many not-good things happened...

The journals he had written were still hidden away inside his desk drawer. He had thought to burn it, but it would have been a waste. Some of the experiments he had written down could better the society of this world, and he wasn't being overly arrogant when he thought of this.