e i g h t e e n

the death cure

the death cure.

THE PLAN WAS so precise that even the minor detail was covered, but Juno was nervous. She was so nervous she could barely think, though a quick talking from Brenda snapped her out of that state and brought her back to reality. She should not have been worrying as much as she was, but she couldn't help it. At least now she was able to focus on her surroundings.

Sitting on a rock between Harriet and Frypan, Juno shifts uncomfortably. "They're late, and my ass hurts." She grumbles.

Frypan nudges her in the stomach with his elbow. "Quit whining. It won't do us any good, Junebug."

The brunette scrunches her nose up. "I hate that nickname."

"It's the only reason he uses it." Harriet tells her. "Fighting won't do ya any good either so you to better not start." She warns lowly.

June's stomach churns in worry. They had waited so long for this that it they messed it up now none of them would be able to forgive themselves. It had been six months and some of them still had not forgiven themselves for their friends' capture.

In the distance, they could finally hear the train, and the roaring of an engine. The plan was in action.

Harriet, Frypan and Juno all shift in their spots before breaking apart to get into hiding.

"Brenda, we're coming up behind." Thomas' voice crackles over the walkie-talkie. "Keep 'em busy."

Crouched low beside Harriet, they wait. "How long do you think we'll have to wait?" June turns to Harriet.

"It shouldn't be too much longer." Harriet shrugs. "The train moves quickly, and if everything goes to plan they should be here soon."

"Hey Brenda, you got company." Thomas speaks through the radio.

"Thomas, you're on your own. Don't die." Brenda responds, then radio silence.

Sharing a glance with Harriet, Juno is slightly relieved to see that the girl is also nervous now. "I guess our plan is on it's way?" She asks.

Harriet nods before redirecting her gaze out to the desert below them. From their hiding spot, they watch the truck swerve around as they dodge bullets from the berg. Then, as planned, Brenda and Jorge reach the dead end.

Juno's hair whips around her face even with her hair in a ponytail, and she keeps having to push it from her eyes. Damn, she thinks. I should've cut it when I wanted to.

Are you seriously thinking about cutting your hair at a time like this? Newt scoffs in her head.

Shouldn't you be focusing on something? Juno replies sassily, watching as the armed men get off the berg. Shit, I have to go.

Brenda and Jorge stand with their hands up, and Juno clutches the gun in her hand tightly.

With the rest of them distracted, Juno and Harriet move behind them to sneak onto the berg. Creeping up and onto the ship, they both raise their guns when the pilot moves in his seat to get up.