*Sophia's POV*
I sat at center field watching Alex run agility and shooting drills. I was in awe at how consistent and accurate she is. She's so dedicated to improving every one of her skills and that inspires me. 

'Don't be afraid.' 

The voice in my head was becoming louder the longer I sat and watched. 

'Just try.' 

It was unbearable now. "You okay?" I hear Alex ask. She was sitting next to me sipping on water. I didn't even see her walk over. "I'm ready. I want to try," I say looking at her nervously. I watch as she reaches into the duffel bag and pulls out the cleats I got for my birthday. "Lace up," she says with a smile.

...

I stand roughly 35 yards away from the goal with the ball at my feet. Alex stands opposite me ready to take the ball away any way she could. The only thing standing in between me and the goal was fear. "You got this," Alex says seriously. I slowly begin to dribble down the field in an attempt to get by Alex. I can already tell that I'm thinking too much because she stops me with every move I make. I have my back to her as I try to keep her off the ball. After a few minutes of fighting to get by her with no luck, I notice as she shifts her stance. This gives me the opportunity to slip the ball past her. The ball rolls fast down the field as both of us charge for it. I've watched Alex score so many goals and one thing I've learned is that an inside-out run is a good way to hold off a defender. I do exactly that and take off with the ball. I shoot it just as I get inside the 18-yard box.

I stand there watching as the ball takes its time getting to the net. It finally hits the bottom of the crossbar and goes in. I let the breath that I was holding go and put my hands on my knees. I'm overcome with so many emotions in the moment.

*Alex's POV*
After Sophia pulled an inside-out move on me I stopped chasing her. I watched her as she took off towards the goal with the ball. She could've just tapped it in but instead she took a beautiful shot. I could see her body relax as the ball crossed the goal line.

I immediately ran over to her in excitement like a proud parent. She looked up just as I threw my arms around her hugging her tight. Then I remembered her rib injury and hugged her a little less tight. I pick her up and spin her around as she laughs. I put her down after a minute and can see the tears threatening to fall. "Don't worry they're happy tears," she says wiping her eyes. "I'm so proud of you!" I say excitedly. She defeated her fear even though she didn't think she could. If that isn't the definition of badass then I don't know what is.

We spend the next few hours on the field until we were too tired to run anymore. It was 3pm when we finally left the facility. "How do you feel?" I ask her as we drive back to her house. She looks down at her hands and smiles. "It's just the beginning but I think I'm going to be okay with time," she says proudly.

As we drive, I quietly recount the events of the last week. I think about the moment I met Sophia and how so much has changed between us in a short time. I begin to have this indescribable feeling in my chest. It's a feeling I haven't felt before, but I know what it is. It's the feeling that's telling me not to fly home tomorrow. More specifically, it's telling me not to go home without Sophia.

I pull up to the curb outside of Luca's house to see that people were there now. "Hey why don't you go inside. I'll be in in a few minutes," I tell Sophia. She nods and reluctantly leaves me alone in the car. I pull out my phone and call Servando.

"Hey babe," he answers.

"Hey listen I need to talk to you about something," I say with urgency.

*Sophia's POV*
I was talking to Pam in the kitchen when Alex walked in. "I thought you said you'd be in in a minute," I point out after she had been outside for half an hour. "I called Servando. I needed to talk to him about something," she says nonchalantly. I look at her suspiciously, but don't challenge her.

"Pam, can Alex stay for dinner since she's flying home tomorrow?" I ask looking at Alex. "Only if she wants to," Pam answers. I look over at Alex who seems distracted. "So?" I say nudging her arm. "Hm yeah sure," she answers as she returns to reality.

...

"Okay this was definitely some of the best food I've had here in the northeast," Alex says leaning back in her chair. "This restaurant has fantastic take out. Soph and I order from there a lot," Luca says as he grabs our trash. He goes inside leaving Alex and I alone.

"So what were you talking to Servando about?" I ask her. She tries to avoid eye contact so I can tell something is up. "You," she says finally looking at me. I don't understand. Why would they be talking about me? "Why?" I ask curiously. She reaches across the table and grabs my hand. "I have to leave tomorrow, but I don't want our relationship to end," she sighs. "Alex our friendship isn't gonna end. We'll figure something out," I say patting her hand. She looks like she wants to say more, but won't. "Just tell me what's going on Al," I plead.

"Okay look I'm going to be straight with you. Serv and I talked... I told him everything. If you're looking for a permanent home, we would like to take you in," Alex says carefully. I feel my eyes well up, but not from happiness. I'm not sure what to think. I pull my hand away from hers and take off towards my bedroom. I bump into Luca on my way in, but I don't stop.

*Luca's POV*
I look over at Alex who's sitting at the table with her head in her hands. I walk over and sit across from her. "What happened?" I ask. She looks up at me in frustration. "I messed up. I told her that if she wanted a permanent home, Servando and I would want to be the ones to take care of her," she says looking away. I was shocked. I knew that things have going well between them, but I didn't know that Alex cared that much for her.

"You really care that much about her that you'd be willing to foster her?" I ask seriously. "I know it sounds stupid, but lately I've felt like I'm meant to do more than what I'm doing in my life. I think Sophia and I crossed paths for a reason. I know that I can give her a good life and I want to do that. I didn't mean to ambush her, but I just wanted her to know," she explains.

"I know that she is grateful for the offer. You just have to give her some space to process it. As much as I wouldn't want to see her go, she deserves a family. In time she'll see that," I say sympathetically.

"I hope so," she sighs.