Eleven: Slow Dance With You

Start from the beginning

I can't even say that awful word anymore.

It's a cursed word, it is.

He was the personification of this damned room.

Bodangles grabbed the mic and tapped it lightly to catch the attention of the guests, "Good evening, guys, gals, and non-binary pals!"

I knew he was going to say that.

"Let's get this party grooving, baby! Take it away, boys." and the room erupted in cheers as they swayed to the music born from the band's melodic abilities and instruments. To call the audience a sea of heads wouldn't be inaccurate as the way they jumped up and down was reminiscent of the waves that would crash against coastlines. As they busied themselves at the dancefloor, the rest were busying themselves with the food tables. We were part of 'the rest.'

Turns out, Elsa crazy for chocolates.

The more I look at her as she partakes in the brown pastries, the more I impressed I was with the way doesn't waste a single crumb. You would never see any hint of a chocolate stain on her teeth or lips, and her fingers were squeaky clean. She patted her mouth dry with a tissue right after as if she just finished a nice tea party with the Queen of England and didn't just stuff her gob.

I never wanted to pinch anyone's rose colored cheeks so badly in my entire life.

"Let's play a game." her attention was now fixed on me, filling two cups from a punch bowl and handed me one. My ears perked up like a bunny, "Guess the gender."

The mechanics of the game were a no-brainer.

I told her I was in because there's absolutely nothing more fun than assuming other people's preferences in a Pride Ball. We knew it was by all means unethical and problematic, but we did it anyway. 

I pointed at a pair standing amongst the crowd on the dance circle, a big dark-skinned lad with long black hair holding hands with a pale ginger who was much smaller than him. With their proximity to the tables, we overheard a bit of their conversation.

"When I'm with you, I feel no worries, Pumbaa." the Ginger affectionately lays his head on his partner's head.

"Ya just gotta put your behind in your past." his reply caught me off guard.

Elsa and I said in unison, "Gay."

"They look so sweet." Elsa whispers to me which I almost couldn't hear with the noise in the room. It made me shudder how her breath felt against my ear. The good kind. The best kind.

Keep the music up, Alligators, so she may continue her whispering endeavors.

She pointed at a woman on the other side of the room gorging on the chocolates like Elsa did a minute ago but less clean than her. She wore a black gown that reached her ankles, with the layers of her outfit' frills spreading out like tentacles, disobeying the dress code entirely.

"I know her. That's Ursula." she discloses, "She used to visit the bar all the time after her girlfriend, Vanessa, broke up with her for some Eric guy."

"Pfft, cheaters." I scowled.

"Tell me about it. What do you think? L or B?"

I took a good long look at the lady as if appearance had anything to do with one's sexuality because it doesn't. "Honestly, with the way she's emptying the tables, I think she gave up on love entirely."

Elsa bellowed in laughter. I stared at her like there was nothing else worth staring at.

"You're probably right."