The Master Tactician:

Start from the beginning

Dimitri turned around and exited Byleth's room, he turned back around as if he were going to say something, "Have fun being the Prince of delusion" Byleth spat, then slammed the door shut after.

Byleth sat with her back pressed against the door, goddess what is wrong with him. Actually, what was wrong with her, for even giving into her anger it wasn't worth it. It was pointless since Dimitri would just continue his reckless rampage.

She sighed, so much for sleep, she had too much adrenaline running through her veins to even attempt at getting sleep. Byleth sat on the ground for a few more minutes then got up to the training grounds, she needed to hit something right now.

Byleth made her way to the training grounds, when she got there, she saw Felix training. "You're up late" Byleth said as she entered the grounds, Felix looked over at her and nodded.

"Did you just get back?" Felix asked.

"A few hours ago," Byleth said.

"Couldn't sleep?" Felix asked.

"I was asleep, but I was abruptly woken up" Byleth said, "So I came here since I can't fall back asleep" she added. "Care to spar?" Byleth asked.

Felix nodded, Byleth went over to the weapons rack and grabbed a wooden sword. They sparred for a few minutes before Byleth failed at covering her right side, and Felix was able to strike a hit on her and managed to use that surprise to disarm her. Felix backed away, realizing he had won this match.

"Finally, I notched a win against you" Felix said enthusiastically, Byleth was a bit taken aback she had never seen him look so excited over something.

Byleth laughed, "I almost had you" she said.

Felix nodded, "True, it was a narrow victory" he agreed, "When we spar, I feel like I'm revisiting my past" Felix said.

Byleth cocked her head, "Why?" she asked.

"It's like training with my Brother" Felix said, he looked away "He always won- always- and died before I could win a single bout" he sighed. "From the first time I held a sword, all I wanted was to surpass him" Felix said sadly, "And that's what drove me to become so strong" he sighed, "Perhaps it's absurd to say such a thing, but..." he said "I've spent all these years training for a duel with a corpse" he added.

Byleth shook her head, "It's not absurd" she said.

Felix shut his eyes, "Perhaps not" he said then sighed and re-opened his eyes. "I can never again spar with my Brother. Not unless he climbs out of his grave" he said "Still I continue my endless pursuit of strength" he added. Felix let out a small laugh, "Maybe because I have a new opponent to measure myself against" he said.

"Who?" Byleth asked.

Felix shook his head a little, "You. Obviously" he stated, "I beat you this time, but when we next cross swords, who knows what might happen?" he said. "It was a close match, not a crushing victory. I know that I can do better" Felix said, "I will surpass you in strength, and then I'll become stronger still" he declared.

Byleth let out a small laugh, "Don't count me out yet" she said.

Felix smiled, "Ha. Just what I was hoping you'd say," he said, "Anyways thank you" Felix said.

Byleth nodded, "So why exactly are you out here so late?" Byleth asked as she put the wooden sword back on the rack.

Felix sighed, "I wasn't able to sleep".

"Why not?" Byleth asked.

"My Father has joined our way effort against the Empire" Felix said.

Byleth was a little shocked, "When did this happen?" she asked.