Trailing after Haruna led Kanako into the living room/kitchen area. "Is that couch different?" she asked. Haruna turned to look at it. "Oh, yeah, I guess that is kinda new. I know you haven't seen it." Hearing that sparked a question for Kanako. "That reminds me," she began. "Um, w-why is it that your parents never have anyone over anymore? I mean, like my parents or Akio-kun's." Haruna thought about it for a moment. "I don't know," she shrugged. "I guess they got busy with work or something. They still go out plenty though. Must be real fun leaving their daughter to fend for herself."

Haruna then walked over to the kitchen and opened the fridge. As usual, there was nothing really she could eat. She sighed as she stared in it. Up until a few weeks ago, there was normally some sort of food she could have, but lately her parents had been gone so much that she had been left with basically nothing other than cup noodles or some other instant food.

Becoming curious, Kanako joined Haruna in the kitchen. When she peered in, she saw a handful of ingredients like green onions and a container of broth. "This sucks," Haruna complained. "There's never anything to eat here anymore." "I could make something," Kanako suggested. "Huh?" Haruna let out. Recently, she had thought it might be nice to have Kanako cook for her, and now here she was throwing the idea out there herself. "It wouldn't be too hard. I could make us some soup or something."

"Soup? Isn't it too hot for that?" Haruna pointed out. "Maybe for winter-types, but there are plenty of others that you can make that people consider to be refreshing. Besides, people eat ramen year-round, so why should this be any different?" Kanako said that so matter-of-factly that Haruna didn't have a response at first. "I guess that makes sense," she muttered. "So should I make one?" Kanako asked. "Do whatever you want," Haruna answered. Taking that as a yes, Kanako began gathering ingredients.

It wasn't long before a fragrant smell wafted throughout the kitchen and living room. The vegetables Kanako had grabbed had been quickly chopped, and after finding several spices to her liking, she had begun the cooking process. A medium-sized pot was sitting on the stove as a fire burned underneath it, heating the liquid contents. Haruna watched as Kanako seemingly threw stuff together. Being nowhere near skilled at culinary arts, Haruna wasn't really sure what Kanako was doing, but it seemed to be working. "Hey, don't you need a recipe or something?" she asked. "Nope. This is a pretty basic dish, so the recipe was easy to memorize. Anyone can make it!" Kanako replied happily.

"I doubt anyone could," Haruna thought referring to herself. "Still though, she looks pretty happy." Haruna found a small smile spreading across her face.

"Cute."

"...wait a minute," Haruna thought, suddenly realizing what word it was that had just crossed her mind. "Cute? What's cute?" Then she looked back to Kanako. "Her? No way. Why would I even think that? She's just cooking! There's nothing cute about that!" While Haruna yelled at herself, Kanako looked up from the pot she was stirring. "Hm? Haruna, are you okay? You're face looks red."

"Wha- Yeah, of course I'm okay, stupid!" Haruna shouted as she turned away from Kanako. "It's only red because it's so damn hot in here from the stove!" "Really? I'm not hot," Kanako said. "That's because you're stupid!" "H-Hey! I'm making you dinner! You could be a little nicer you know!" Kanako sighed. "Honestly, every time I think things are different..."

"What do you mean different?" Haruna said, still not facing Kanako. "Nothing. Forget it," she said. Haruna clenched her fists, but instead of coming up with an angry reply, she spoke more softly. "Tell me."

Kanako stared, then spoke. "I know you said you'd try to be nicer, or at least not as much of a jerk to me, but sometimes it feels like you're not making any progress at all. Knowing you said you'd try, and then it feeling like you're not, it kind of... hurts my feelings a little."

Date Her Instead Vol. 2जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें