Chapter Two: New and Old Bonds

"Master Obi-Wan I'm afraid I don't understand." Kidara said finally, hardly processing everything the man had told her. "My master would never... turn-"

"I know this is a lot to hear, young one," Kit Fisto was looking at her with his smile almost vanishing from his face. "But your master is gone. He chose a path and that path is one you cannot follow."

Kidara's eyebrows knitted. "I-" She ran her shaking fingers through her hair, her eyes darting, her mind racing for something.

"Entered an age of darkness, we have." Yoda looked up to her, looking contemplative and lost. "Afraid, you must not be." But Kidara was afraid. What will happen to me now? Will I be cast from the order?

"Kidara," Master Windu spoke, addressing her by her first name for the first time. She looked up, her emotions crashing down on her in waves. This isn't happening, this can't be happening- "We fear Quinlan Vos may be using your training bond to spy on the republic. And if he has become an apprentice of Count Dooku, that cannot be a good thing." The man spoke slowly, hoping Kidara would be able to process his words.

Kidara wanted terribly to just disappear. She took a shaky breath, not really believing what was happening.

"You want me to break our bond." She spoke flatly, knees going weak. Her vision began to cloud. She almost laughed—kriff, all but 30 minutes ago she was wondering what she was going to eat for lunch.

"I am sorry, young padawan." Kidara wasn't even sure who had spoken. She closed her eyes, knelt to sit back on her heels, and reached out in her mind. The bond met at a spark, like it always had, fiery and secure. It was light, but ever changing. It was strong, and present. It enveloped her in a warm, familiar feeling. It had taken 6 years to form the bond between her and her master, and now she had to break everything. All the training, all the warm smiles and "Good job, young padawan!" Every evening she couldn't sleep as a young girl, when her master would sit up with her explaining how the force worked in mysterious ways, letting her rest her head in his lap. Every mission. Every time she had been injured in battle and had woken to Quinlan's warm eyes boring into hers. Every "You had me worried, Kidara." Everything would be gone. Kidara felt her eyes brim with tears. Don't cry now. Jedi do not have attachments. There is no passion, there is serenity.

Kidara felt a hand on her shoulder. Obi-Wan knelt beside her, looking in her eyes, pained. Her shields were down. He could probably feel what she was feeling. "We are here for you young one."

Around her the Jedi slowly rose to follow Obi-Wan's suit, kneeling and placing their hands on her shoulders and back. "You can do this Kidara." "We believe in you padawan," "Just breathe."

"Strong, you are, Young Kidara. Not only with the force."

Kidara's mind was racing, she felt the living force flow strong and bright through her, the Masters around her shining in the force as she closed her eyes once more. She knew what needed to be done. She was unsure if she would have the strength to do it.

She reached out to the bond, her force signature practically singing against his shields, and finally felt her masters defenses lower. But his force signature was dark, and unrecognizable. It didn't seem warm and secure, it felt cold and inviting. It was familiar, though. It was Quinlan Vos. She felt him push his thoughts through to her, not quite words, but a definite feeling of dread and power. Kidara pushed her emotions through to him, a resonating I'm sorry, Master. For this would be the last time she could do so.

Kidara expected torn flesh and a leaking wound. Instead, it came off with a clean snap, like a fruit stem, leaving only a neat void.

Kidara's eyes flew open with a gasp. She had no idea what he was feeling.