*

Our tent was spacious, warm, filled with food and a constant fire burning to keep us warm. Once inside I spotted my father sitting down in his usual spot talking with his council members. Their faces looked stern, their eyes filled with sorrow and concern and I knew then that there was something they weren't telling me.

"Father!" I exclaimed in order to get his attention.

He looked up from his papers and his green eyes met mine, he rose from his seat and moved his tall yet chubby body towards me. Once I was at arms length from him with a sign of his hand he dismissed his advicers and then took me into his arms.

"Caladhiel, I'm glad to see you my dear but wht aren't you accompanying your brothers outside?" He asked. His eyes looked at me with love and I shot him a smile.

"Locien sent me back in." I responded as I let go of his tight embrace. "He knows something father but he just wont tell me what it is." I added.

My father escorted me to the table, we took a seat so we were face to face and a servant brought two cups of steaming wine. "Things haven't been normal lately and I think you're too clever to not notice that there have been a few starless nights." My father's voice had a foreboding tone to it and he took both of my hands into his. "We're in great danger my dear and we need to be prepared. I knew this day was bound to come but I hadn't figured it would be so soon." The sadness in my father's voice struck me with realisation; we probably weren't going to live to see another day.

"Are we going to die tonight father?" My voice sounded like that of a child. I'd lived 1023 years and I'd never felt so affraid in my life.

"I am my dear but I pray that you and your brothers are able to get through this." Now his voice was nothing but a barely audible whisper and his eyes were looking out the window. "Its only a matter of time before they get here." He took a sip of his wine and closed his eyes.

"Father no one's dying tonight I promise, we'll get through this." I wasn't even sure I believed my own words but I deeply wanted to.

Before my father could reply we heard it; thousands of shrieks and squeals cutting through the cold winter air. I covered my ears and closed my eyes hoping this was nothing more than a nightmare. But my father shook me out of my hopes. "Get ready for battle Caladhiel, I've seen you train for the past 845 years and I haven't seen a more skilled warrior." His gaze pierced right through me and his encourgaing smile disarmed me.

I smiled through the tears and took my spear in my hands. "We'll get through this father I promise."

"You'll get through this Caladhiel, I saw it in the stars you're destined for greatness." His words shook my entire being and I realized I wasn't ready to loose him. The air around us became colder and a gust of wind broke through the windows, in a matter of seconds the room went dark. I felt my father take hold of my hand and say. "Fight with me Caladhiel and make me proud."

"They're here!" I heard someone shout.

My father and I walked outside and for the first time I saw the enemy I'd been trained to fight most of my life; Orcs. They were as terrible and repulsive as the songs made them out to be, most of them were huched over with scaily skin, almost toothless and if they had any they were sharp and deadly fangs, their screams and shrieks cut through the night making me take a step back. In that moment I looked into my father's eyes and he gave me a small nod of aproval. I let go of his hand and the both of us ran into battle.

My first opponent was an enormous Orc with broad shoulders wielding a mase  as big as my head. I swung my spear just as I'd done during training, I ducked his attacks defended myself and slashed his skin a few times before I finally managed to give him a deadly blow. The battle went on like that I slew as many Orcs as I could but I was tiered, filled with bruises and unable to run as quickly as earlier. I looked around me but saw no signs of my father or brothers. Fear started to take hold of me and tears flooded my vision. I kept swinging my spear side to side, killing and harming Orcs just as I recieved a blow on my shoulder making me drop my spear and fall to the ground.

My vision was blurry and I was only able to make out a blurry Orcish figure on top of me. A shot of adrenaline coursed through my vains and I managed to get a hold of my knife and slashed his throat. Blood sparyed onto my face and garments, the Orc spilled blood everywhere as I managed to get him off of me. I ran aimlessly looking for a sign of Locien, Aradan or my father but I found no one. The Orcs seemed to sprout from the earth and we were clearly outnumbered. As I kept on fighting, recieving hit after hit I saw a familiar person lying on the ground; bulky body, long grayish hair and green wide open eyes. I crumbled to the ground beside him, it was my father and he was dead. His eyes were empty and his skin was turning blueish, his stomach had been pierced by a sharp blade, my father lay dead in a pool of his own blood. I felt dizzy and weak. I tried to stand up but my feet wouldn't respond. Then I saw an Orc I'd come to fear due to the songs; Azog the defiler. He ran towards me and with a blow of his hammer I was out.

*

My eyes opened up slowly, the sky was still dark, the night was still cold yet there was something different; it was now quiet. I could no longer hear the screams for battle or the deadly shrieks of the Orcs. The night was now dead silent, I sat up and my head started to spin. I closed my eyes and took in a few deep breaths, but when I opened my eyes the sight I had before me made my heart ache with pain and my eyes fill with tears. I was sitting up in the midst of a sea of corpses. The snow was no longer white, but stained with the blood of my kin and beside me lay my beloved father, dead. Strained sobs came out of my throat and I started to have trouble breathing.

"Aradan! Locian!" I screamed but the only answer was the echo coming from the mountains. "Someone please!" I pleaded with a cracked voice. I stood up and limped towards the woods that lead down the mountain.

When I came closer to the border I saw a figure slumped against a tree. I'd recognize that snow white hair anywhere, it was Aradan. I used up the last of my strength and ran towards him. I fell onto my knees beside him and took him in my arms.

"Aradan you're alive!" I exclaimed in relief.

"Caladhiel." his voice came out week and barely audible.

"Shh, don't use up your strength. I'll heal you I promise." I sobbed against his mass of hair.

I felt Aradan shuffle in my arms and he managed to pull away. "I won't make it to the morning sister, but you will."

"Don't speak like that, I'll help you." I said.

Aradan lifted his hand toward my cheek and stroked it gently. "Galadriel will come to you and she'll help you with what comes next." His eyes seemed sincere but I couldn't make sense of what he was saying.

"Don't say those things Aradan." I repeated.

"Keep me company till I part please." He asked. As his breathing became slower I looked down and saw he was gravely injured, it was a miracle he could still speak.

"I will never leave your side." I responded and hugged him tight.

Dawn came and illuminated the red tinted snow and my beloved brother Aradan left me for good. I could no longer feel his shaky breaths nor his diminishing heartbeat. The person I loved the most was now dead and I was alone. I broke into a mass of heart wrenching sobs and from so much crying I fell asleep.