Chapter Fifteen

Once our guests were on their way, Papa turned to Mother with a serious expression. "You are allowed to have your own opinions regarding Mr. Melbourne," he said, "but I will thank you not to voice them so freely in company. You will embarrass the whole family."

"Grace herself said he has not made any promises," Mother said defensively. "I only meant to offer a warning. As often as he has maneuvered his way into our company, one would think he would have made his intentions known since society is watching with expectation."

"I respect that he is allowing time to know Grace. Not all matches are whirlwind romances that young ladies are all agog about. Neither are they all cold-blooded arrangements made in an office with lawyers to fight over settlements and dowries. Somewhere in the middle is most desirable, in my opinion."

My first engagement had been the first. It had happened so fast and I had been head over heels in love. Every gentleman Mother had brought forth had felt cold and serious. Yes, Papa was right. A balance in the middle felt most right this time.

"Yet, he raises expectations and invites comment."

Mother clung to her disapproval as much as I had clung to my grief. I'd always suspected I had inherited my stubbornness from her.

"What would you have Grace do?" Papa asked, his tone frustrated. "Send him away? Have you another prospective gentleman waiting in the wings?"

Color rose in Mother's cheeks. "If he has no serious intentions, then, yes," she said, raising her chin. "Grace should refuse to be manipulated in such a way."

My hands tightened and the teacup handle snapped off in my fingers. The sound earned the attention of both my parents. "Grace!" Mother exclaimed. "What happened? What did you do?"

"I will not refuse to keep company with Mr. Melbourne," I said in an even tone. I set the broken teacup down, trying to hide how much my fingers were shaking. "He has been kind to me and does not deserve to be served such a cold turn. There is nothing wrong with him taking the time to know me and for me to know my own mind. It is better than being told how I should feel."

Papa nodded. "Excellent. I feel we have no more left to say on the matter."

"So I am to be ignored?" Mother demanded. "Are my feelings not to be considered?"

"Whenever you are good enough to explain your feelings in such a way that they could be understood rationally, I'm sure Grace and I will be happy to give them all due consideration," Papa said. "We have gone over and over this matter too many times already. I will not have it brought up again."

There had only been a few times that I can remember Papa raising his voice at my mother. They had always been careful to conduct any quarrels out of the hearing of my siblings and me. That they had exchanged sharp words in front of me either meant they were not ashamed of their discord or simply did not care that I heard.

I felt a twinge of guilt that I was the cause of this quarreling. All I wanted was to understand Mother's antagonism toward Mr. Melbourne, but perhaps she didn't understand it herself? Surely she wouldn't be so petty to think that she had the right to decide who I could choose to marry.

If that were so, what would she do if I were to accept Mr. Melbourne's hand in marriage?

If he did make such an offer?

****

Much to my surprise, the next day did not include a visit from Mr. Melbourne. Mother managed not to say anything about it, but she looked triumphant. It was almost worse that she didn't say what she was thinking because she could be thinking anything and I wouldn't know just how harmful or malicious it might be.