Chapter Eleven

Mother did not speak to me when I returned from the drive. She didn't want to hear about where Mr. Melbourne and I had gone. Even the following day, she was still fuming when she, Papa, and myself walked down to the Rooms.

There appeared to be many visitors gathered. We hadn't been inside for more than a few minutes when we saw a familiar face: Mr. Bywood. The alteration in Mother's mood could not have been more drastic. "Mr. Bywood, we have been wondering where you have been keeping yourself," she said enthusiastically. "It has been an age."

"I've been keeping myself busy," he said politely as he paused by us.

"Why don't you and dear Grace take a turn about the room?"

Is this how Mother expected to get her way? By calling me dear as she pushed me at someone who had shown no interest in me? "Actually, Mr. Anderson, I would appreciate a word with you," Mr. Bywood said, looking at my father. "I am in need of advice from someone who has owned an estate."

"Oh?" Papa said in surprise.

"You may have heard I had the misfortune to win an estate from Mr. Danial Dunbar," Mr. Bywood said, getting straight to the point. "It is in a ramshackle state, and I find myself in need of advice as to how to proceed. I would not like to pass it off to someone else as it is, but how am I to improve it?"

That was admirable of him, and I was more than a little surprised. My parents exchanged looks. "I know Colonel Mayfield inherited an uncle's estate, and he described it as dilapidated," I said, trying to be helpful. "He may be able to better advise you, sir."

"What a fine idea, Grace!" Mother said quickly. "Why don't you help Mr. Bywood find the colonel? You can have a lovely conversation together while you search."

"And perhaps we will find my friend Melbourne while we do so," Mr. Bywood said with a sudden grin. He offered his arm to me. "He would make an amusing addition to our party. He can generally be found here, can't he?"

I saw Mother's jaw clench at the man's words. I put my hand on his elbow, eager to be on my way before she could embarrass me. "Indeed. In recent days, he has made a habit of coming, it's true," I said as carelessly as I could manage. "And I would not object to him joining us."

Oh, Mother was not pleased with that as Mr. Bywood drew me away. "Let me guess. Your parents do not approve of Melbourne's attention toward you."

"My father has not expressed such a sentiment but my mother....You see, we have known him for several years now and he has never shown an interest in me before," I said, trying to explain as well and as discreetly as I could. "She suspects there might be a wager or some mischief intended. Mother believes he is making a may game of me."

"You don't think so?"

"He has always been sincere. He may have been a bit wild in his younger years but I do not see it now." Nevermind, I couldn't remember the specifics of said 'wild youth.'

"I haven't known him long, but he doesn't seem like the kind of gentleman who would trifle with a lady's feelings."

All of my doubts hadn't been shaken off completely. "And yet, why does he pursue me now?"

Mr. Bywood hesitated and I regretted my question. And then he said something surprising. "Perhaps he respected the grief you feel for your departed betrothed. He was a friend to your Mr. Sinclair, was he not? Maybe he sensed you would not have been open to moving on until now."

"I know Jonathan looked on Mr. Melbourne as a sort of younger brother. Mr. Melbourne seldom accompanied us when Jonathan and I courted, so I cannot say we knew each other well at the time."

"Then you must be glad to have the opportunity to know him better."

If there was something I wish I could control, it was my tendency to blush. Our conversation was interrupted by the man we were discussing. Melbourne swung his cane as he walked up. "Miss Anderson! Bywood," he said, his eyes on me. He made his usual bow. "I am surprised to find you together."