chapter thirty two | roselake

Start from the beginning

"Apparently that day was today," I mumbled, just loud enough so she could hear.

Her eyes grew wide. "No, you're joking. What was his reaction? Wait a second, what happened to Mikayla?"

"You're overly enthusiastic about my relationship status, you know that?" I asked her. "He broke up with Mikayla, I found out this morning. It was probably recent because when we had breakfast this morning, she barged in and tried to convince him I was a crazy bitch and he would be better off without me."

Victoria made a disgusted noise. "Honestly, makes sense but does she even know who you are? One bad move and I'll get Lysander to throw her in the dungeon. I could care less on whether it's right or not."

"She pointed a butterknife at me-"

"That's it, I'll be back." Tori gets up. I'm horrified, but she turns back around before she reaches the door. "Kidding, obviously. So, Atticus' reaction to your confession?"

"He confessed to me, actually," I clarified. "I just, you know, confirmed."

"Are you finally dating?" Her eyes grew wide again. "I think I've been waiting for this moment since you were five. The two of you were always so cute together."

"Tori, are you out of your mind?" I asked my sister. "The feelings are there but... I don't know, there's so much going on. I told him that being with him was everything my seventeen year old heart wanted, but I told him not yet. I wasn't ready to be in a relationship."

Tori pouted. "You just crushed all my hopes and dreams, sister. But I get it... you want it to last, right? So you don't want to rush into it only to rush out."

That's... one way to put it. "I guess."

"Anything else exciting happen this morning?" Tori asked as there was a knock on her door. She tells them to come in, and in comes Laura - the dress maker - with at least a dozen dresses in tow.

Victoria gets up and looks through the dresses. Most of them, she shakes her head and moves on to the next dress. Occasionally, she chooses one out and tosses it onto the bed. Most were dresses in different shades of blue, purples, and even a red and black one. Most were floor length gowns.

I look through the dresses, creating a pile of my own. "I mean, I told him I wanted to wait but we might have-" I say the next word about ten times quieter. "-kissed."

She stopped looking through the dresses for a moment, a joyful look on her face. "My baby sister had her dream kiss... you should have led with that, Vera." She looked at the dresses. "I'm going to text him a picture of your dress and force him to match with you."

I rolled my eyes. "I told you, we aren't dating yet. I don't know if we ever will, depending on how awkward it becomes. And also, how are you supposed to match a suit? Do you make the jacket bright pink?"

"Please, Vera, I know you wouldn't be caught dead in a bright pink dress. You just match the tie, the pocket, whatever. Now, choose a couple dresses, and Laura can tailor it for you. I was going to have her hand make you one, but I'm not sure you'd like that, especially for your first royal dance."

"Hopefully it ends up being my last," I mutter in annoyance. I hated this, so, so much.

Tori picks up the lavender dress from the pile and helps me into it. "Uh, Laura, could you come back in thirty minutes or so. I can help my sister and I have some matters to talk to her about." The dressmaker nodded and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Tori zips up the dress as she leans in, close to my ear. "Do you know what's going on with your coronation. Is it even happening? What are Pheon and I supposed to do about it?"