Chapter Nineteen

It took a while to force Alma, Esmeralda, and Junebug out of my room. They insisted they stay overnight just in case I needed something. But every night I didn't wake up. And I didn't need anything. So finally they left and I sat at my vanity combing my hair.

    I kind of regretted sending them away so early. I liked it when Esmeralda combed my hair. I realized lately that since Esmeralda has been brushing my hair i've been getting lazy. I didn't change into my night gown yet and I started to wonder what time it was.

   It was dark out so it must have been eight o'clock already. I sighed and continued combing my hair. The palace was a lovely place to be but I missed home. I missed my family and friends. While everyone in the palace has made being here like a second home and they've all been so amazing I can't help but feel lonely sometimes. 

 There was a knock on my door and I looked up. It was probably Esmeralda coming in to ask me yet again if I needed anything.

I smiled to myself. They were so good to me. "Come in girls" i said and continued to comb my hair.

"I've been called many things" I jumped and turned to face the door. "But I don't think girl has ever been on that list."

"Your Highness"

The Prince smiled. "I'm sorry did I startle you?"

I shook my head and put my brush down. 'No its fine I just...didn't expect you."

"Fantastic," he said. 'let's go"

"Huh?"

He smiled. "Come. We're going somewhere"

   I would have appreciated a heads up. I was still wearing the dress I had on earlier. 

"Alright then," i said hesitantly. "Should I change?"

He shook his head. "Just like that is fine"

                                                                      ***********

"The stables?" I asked. "This was where you wanted to bring me?"

   The Prince grinned as he opened up the stable doors.

"But I...?"

"You told me you'd give anything to ride a horse" he walked into the stable and I hiked up my dress struggling to keep up. "I figured you might want me to take you."

"Well I..."

     The Prince stopped and opened up a door. He took out two saddles, some rope, and handed me a helmet. It was actually quiet...

"Sweet"

"Hmm"

I held the helmet in my arms. "Thank you." I repeated. "That was sweet of you"

He winked at me. "I suppose  you're wondering why I took you out at night"

I laughed. "Its definietly at the top of my list"

"Well," and I struggled to keep up behind him in my heels. "During the day there are too many people watching. Nosy, invasive people. Plus if I ride during the day my entire family will chastise me thus ending my time with my horses. Besides I figured I'd teach with no one around."

   The stables were dark, the only light coming from a few candles. While it did not smell the greatest it didn't smell as awful as I thought it might have. Unfortunately the first thing I saw were my heels so I slipped them on and I now regret the choice. Its hard walking in dirt and hay with heels on. It took me a moment to realize but when I did my cheeks immediately went red.