17

"I wasn't hiding." I replied in confusion staring back at the tiny trouble maker. Bother her and Jelani stood in the opening to this area. The fuzzy pink handcuffs still hanging from her wrist.

"How long have you been talking to Jali?" Jelani questioned taking a few steps forward.

"Only a few days now." I shrugged. "Why? Is it a problem?"

"Of course it is." Marin snapped. "You should be talking to us about your issues, not him."

"He was offering a fresh set of eyes on the situation." I replied.

"Brother." Jali's voice cut through anything Marin was about to say. "How could you let this go on for so long?"

"I was trying to fix it." Jelani muttered, sounding ashamed. Which he should be.

"How? There are many people in our home alone that could have solved this issue without preamble."

"Wait. What?" I questioned turning my attention back to Jali. "What do you mean?"

"There are those who practice the type of magic we would need to break and rebuild bonds." Jelani explained.

"So why didn't you go to them?" I questioned,

"Because I can't trust anyone in my family to do what's right just for the sake of doing what's right." He explained.

"So let me get this straight. The reason you've kept Marin as a mate and put me through all of this was because you couldn't trust your family? You could have cut ties with Marin and started fresh all before I even showed up on the scene?" I questioned in disbelief.

"No, they would have somehow made it worse." 

"Did you ask them or are you just assuming that's what would have happened?" Jali questioned.

"Our family doesn't just bend to my whims like they do you Jali. You probably could have asked for something that simple and they jump to accommodate you. They don't see me like they do you." Jelani bit back. It was a low blow coming from his brother. Jelani knew that the reason why they held him in such high regards was because of the things that he was forced to do.

"Don't be like that Jelani, he's only trying to figure out ways to help you." I intervened.

"Don't stick up for him." Marin snapped. "How about sticking up for your mates?" 

"You're not their mate." Jali turned his furious gaze to Marin. "You're nothing more than a glorified homewrecker. You forced your way into a bond that wasn't yours to begin with and destroyed something that was supposed to be shared by those two souls there. You should be ashamed of yourself, not trying to pimp your way into Horus heart."

"Don't speak to Marin that way." Jelani gritted out.

"Why not? It's the truth and it needs to be said. You accepted the bond and have been coddling it and nurturing it, all the while knowing that one day your soulmate would show up. And guess what he did and he's clearly not as thrilled as Marin led you to believe he would be. Two mates for the price of one? No, a homewrecker and a cheater." Jali's voice began to rise in anger, echoing off the walls of his cell. 

"You don't know anything of the torment I went through trying to stop from accepting a bond that had already begun to form. My body and part of my soul felt like it was being kept away from it's mate. It was pure torture." Jelani shot back and in that moment I was actually scared for the response.

The laughter that flowed from Jali's mouth was cold and hollow as his eyes glowed brighter, menacingly. I wasn't sure whether to inch closer to him, knowing he may need the comfort, or run far away, knowing that he was probably reliving that moment in his mind.