7

The cogs in my mind were turning. Pros and cons were being listed without ceasing on whether or not to take Jelani's word. He said that his family couldn't be trusted and that I should keep a low profile but what if they were my key to escaping this place and getting back to my real life?

As I aimlessly roamed the halls, wondering back to my room I thought over my options. If I told Jelani's sister who I truly was then there was a possibility that she might get me out of here, even if it was only to get back at her brother. On the other hand there was a chance that Jelani was right and that by revealing myself I doomed us all.

There was no telling who I was to trust but I wasn't dumb enough to show my hand the moment the opportunity presented itself. I would have to play this one by ear but I would figure it out somehow.

Pushing open the door to my temporary room I readied myself to relax, ready to collapse on the bed after my early morning and long day. Before I could even pull my shirt off over my head a shrill whistle caught my attention.

"Looking good there."

Lying across my bed was Jelani's sister, in nothing by a bra and her long, elegant skirt. Her arms were behind her head as she looked over at me with a smirk plastered on her face. Upon seeing my confused expression she sat up, legs crossed, one over the other as she looked up at me. 

"Wh-What are you doing in here?" I questioned.

"Well I was trying to figure out exactly what you were." She mused. "Without your supernatural identity I'm only able to go off of your appearance."

My supernatural identity?

"My what now?" I questioned earning a sigh from her.

"You're currently human because of whatever spell Jelani has on this place. Therefore, I'm not able to sense what you truly are but judging by your appearance I want to guess some sort of avian shifter."

What was her angle? There was no reason for her to be in my room and asking me all these questions. My next decision would have to be carefully decided and my next actions had to be on point. 

"Yes, I do shift." Which it wasn't a lie. I was able to do such a thing but generally I had no purpose to. 

"My intuition is usually spot on." She chuckled to herself. "Well, if Jelani has no need of you tonight then maybe you can keep me company. I will discuss it with him later, in the meantime how about you lay her with me and keep me warm?" 

What was I supposed to say to that? 

"Well...um...I don't thi-"

"Hor-Oh! Um, Jelani told me to come get you. He had some errand for you." Marin burst into the room and interrupted my awkward moment with Aisha. He held his head down and avoided eye contact with her but I took that as my cue to leave.

"Sorry, maybe next time." I mumbled before walking backwards, out of my room.

"Hm..." She hummed in slight annoyance as she crossed her arms over her chest. The glare she shot the two of us just as we cleared the doorway was easy to interpret. She was not happy with Jelani's actions.

"Thank you so much." I whisper yelled, as we hurried down the hallway. "Where are we going?"

"Back to our room. Once you left Jelani sent someone else to his sister's assigned room and when he didn't find her there he sent word to Jelani and he knew exactly where she would be. Thus he sent me, the cavalry.

As he pushed the door to the room open I followed behind him just as he slammed the door shut. With a deep breath and then exhale he braced himself against the door and looked up at me.