Joe held up his hands. "Whoa there, buddy. We're the good guys."

"You, I know. That guy with you is from the Iron Guild," Rex said.

"Turbo is my brother from the wars, and he saved my life. You can trust him," Joe answered.

"Just because you say I can trust someone doesn't make it so," Rex replied, then leveled the blaster on Kit. "And if you take one step closer, you're going to be as dead as a can of beef."

"I'm starting to see what you mean about this clown," Kit said to Joe.

Rex snickered. "What Havoc means? Like how smart and good looking I am. Well, I'm wearing a helmet right now, but trust me, I'm as good looking as they come."

"Let them in, Rex," Reuben said as he stepped out from an adjacent room.

Rex hesitated before lowering his blaster with a huff and taking a seat.

Kit closed the door behind them.

Reuben smiled at Joe. "I think there's someone here who'd like to see you." He turned back to the doorway he'd come through. A second later, out tumbled Nick and Romy, Champ following with a wagging tail.

"Joe!" Nick ran over and hugged him.

Joe grunted when Nick put pressure on his healing side, and he placed a hand on Nick's back. "Hey, kiddo."

Romy walked cautiously closer, and Joe pulled off his helmet so he could give her a smile. She then took the last couple of steps in a rush and hugged him, too.

Joe tossed his helmet to Rex so he could hug both kids. "You don't know how good it is to see that you're both okay." He looked over at Reuben. "Where'd you find them?"

Reuben motioned toward Rex, who'd taken off his helmet as well.

"I have my ways," Rex said, smugly.

"Thanks," Joe said. "I owe you."

"You bet your shield you do," Rex replied.

Joe gave him a single nod, then turned to look from Kit to Nick. "Hey, Nick. There's someone I want you to meet. This guy here fought in the Revolution and the Shiprock War with your dad and me."

"You knew my dad?" Nick asked in sudden awe.

Kit took a step forward and pulled off his helmet. "I did. He was the best of the best. I'm proud to have called him my friend." He set down the helmet, pulled off a glove, and held out his hand. "My name's Kit."

Nick stood taller when he shook Kit's hand. "I'm Nick. I was named after my dad."

Kit didn't jest at the obvious connection. "It's a good name."

Nick backed away, only to push Romy toward Kit. "And this is my sister, Romy. She's not really my sister in real life, but she doesn't have any family anymore, so I made her my sister."

Joe opened his mouth to mention how that was Sara's decision to make, but the words died on his tongue. For all he knew, Sara was dead, and all Nick had left was Romy and Champ. His jaw tightened.

Reuben noticed, and he pressed Nick and Romy back to the other room. "Joe and I have some catching up to do. How about you head back to that video game you were playing?"

"All right," Nick said, sounding dejected, but he quickly rebounded and grabbed Romy's hand. "Let's go." Champ seemed happy to follow wherever they went.

Reuben closed the door behind the trio.

Joe looked at Reuben. "Any news on Sara Swinton?"

Reuben shook his head. "I'm afraid not. Nick and Romy told me what happened, but Gabriel Sloan's put a hefty price on both my and Rex's heads, and no doubt on your head as well by now. If we leave Far Town, we run the risk of being seen."