Chapter 31

Cat positively dreaded taking calls with Gabriel Sloan. The older of the two brothers, he was the planner and negotiator, so she'd never had to deal with Roderick, who she'd heard was even less rational. She accepted the call and forced a smile.

"Mr. Sloan, it's a pleasure, as always."

"I'm beginning to think you say that in jest," Gabriel said, eyes narrowed.

She ignored his statement. She really didn't care that he knew the truth, but she was too smart to verify it for him. "I have six new hunters who transferred in from the Haft Agency. They told me about the fire at their guild. Burned the entire building to the ground. No survivors."

"There were survivors," he said.

"How fortunate," she said, knowing he wanted the opposite to be true.

He grunted. "The thing is, when I dismantle a company, like a bounty hunters guild, I need people to understand that I completely dismantle it. I can't have survivors running around, discrediting me. I need you to verify that the Haft Agency is fully dismantled. If they still wear the Haft sigil, they should not still breathe."

Her gaze narrowed. How did a person become as despicable a human being as Gabriel Sloan? She inhaled before speaking. "Do you know who the survivors are?"

He nodded. "Reuben Tally escaped, along with his personal bodyguard, who has the call sign T-Rex. All the rest are now under your employment, confirmed dead, or"—he sneered—"on his way to being confirmed dead."

She watched him. "Consider the job as good as done. Tally will cost you the regular price, and T-Rex is on the house."