"O-okay." Luis inched back and reached for his weapons. "What was that?"

"Thunder..." I grumbled but didn't look at him. I kept my eyes on the sky.

Manny covered his face as he looked towards the gates where the wind came from. "I know I don't be playing games like this, but wouldn't events happen all the time? Without warning. If you weren't ready, you died. Rule of games, right?"

I gulped, turning towards the entrance. There was a large mass in the distance, moving slowly. Footsteps echoed in our direction.

Biting my lip, I looked back at my cousin. Never thought I'd see the day where he's teaching me something about games.

Manny reached for the two daggers he had equipped with his thief attire. "You ready?"

Am I ready?

"I've never met a boss I couldn't beat," I whispered as the creature's red eyes came into view. Its gaze slid over all of us as if we were its next prized kill. And I wasn't sure about everyone else, but I wasn't keen on being someone's—or something's—dinner.

I turned, changing position, ready to fight. I felt the fire from my staff spread inside of me, fueling my spirit. When the beast roared, its lungs created a massive breath that pushed all of us back.

I smiled. This was my time to shine. Without fear. Without insecurities. "And today won't be the first."

|||

To see gamers coming together, without nervousness, without fear... it was a good sight to see.

"Healers, spread out!" someone shouted. I glanced in their direction, catching sight of a tall girl with curly hair just like mine. She carried two staves, one in each hand, and used them both to point in a direction around the market stalls. "If we're everywhere, we can heal all the players."

Cool, you. I pointed at her with my staff, understanding, even though I wasn't purely a healing mage. I like you.

"Got it!" a group of healers agreed, moving into position. And they weren't the only ones. Various players followed suit, grabbing a spot within the town's center based on skill-type. Even those who lingered near the buildings came closer; distance fighters equipped with bow and arrows. I smiled at them, too.

Let's do this.

"Chari!" Manny came at my side, both of his daggers still tight in his hands. He looked down at me, determination on his face. He grinned, and a twinkle shimmered in his eye.

I gave him the same look. "You ready?"

"Not really," he said laughing, but looked back towards the opened gateway, at the creature who pushed itself through. "But this is what we signed up for, right?"

"Exactly." I looked back towards the creature, too. As it stepped into the town, I felt its power. More than the wind. There was an electrical pull to it, an energy without an actual name. Even though it was terrifying, I liked it.

Without hesitation, I raised my hand in the air, summoning the leadership I carried from many games in my past. "Everyone, find its weak spot!" as I shouted, Manny looked at me, shocked. But I continued, "And when you got it, scream it out. We'll take this down!"

"Yeah!" a few players shouted in unison.

"Damn right!" others agreed.

A set of boots hurried beside me, stopping just as they reached my side. With my arm still lifted, staff in the air, I turned towards the person who approached. I expected it to be another player, those hungry to join in on this boss fight.