Back up plan

After those that ate finished eating Rosalie took Gracie upstairs to clean her up and get her in fresh clothes. While this was being done I suggested to Ethan that we go for a stroll in the woods to do some hunting. From the darkened shade of his eyes he hadn't hunted in a while. I didn't want that risk in or around my family.

Running through the woods I took down a small elk and drained it of its blood before I waited for Ethan who caught two lions. After he was finished and his eyes were a varient of gold was I relaxed.

"Take a stroll with me."

Ethan looked into my eyes and nodded his head once before we started our walk that took us higher up north. Once we were well out of the range from the home I stopped and took a seat. Ethan who sensed that there was importance in this moment did the same a few feet away.

"So I'm guessing you want to talk about something." Ethan said, his voice slightly strained.

I nodded my head silently as I thought about the best way to bring this subject up. I took one deep breath and let my words flow. "I'm sure you've noticed our family is different from those you may have come across in your life time."

Ethan gave a slight head nod before clasping his hands together. "Yeah but I've had a 'different' family most of my life. The day I was born my mother didn't want me because she wanted a girl so I was placed in a orphanage which is where I met Zelda, Rhiannon and Samara."

"So Gracie..." I said wondering about her. I could easily read his mind but only when it comes to what he was thinking about at the present time. Unlike Aro's telepathy I couldn't see into every thought they had.

"I was just about to turn 16 when she was born. From what I was told by the orphanage our mother died giving birth to her. They looked for relatives that could possibly take her but apparently my mother was an orphan as well. So they found me and decided it would be better if she grew up in the same orphanage as I. Then all went to hell. Five months before I was to turn 17 a Cholera outbreak in the orphanage began making people very sick and then one by one they started dying off."

"How did you and your cousins survive? How did your sister survive?"

"I was one of the first handful of children to get sick. I was so close to death when one night a blonde male with a red headed woman told me they could make me better. They took me out into the middle of nowhere and then the woman bit me. For three days, I think, I was in excrutiating pain. I wanted every moment to die, I even begged. Then it all stopped and I was thirsty. But I didn't care the only thing I could think of was my sister and protecting her. I ran off and found my way back to the orphanage expecting her to be dead but she wasn't. She was alive and healthy unlike everyone else there. Before I fled with her I tried to find Rhiannon, Zelda and Samara but they were gone. I assumed the worst. That was 16 years ago though. My sister is now the same age as me." He finished.

I stared blankly at Ethan. He had went through so much and then some in order to keep what little family he had intact. He single handedly raised his baby sister since the moment he awoke into his life as a newborn vampire. That alone took considerable control.

"Well then I can safely presume that you would do anything to protect her even if it was to give your own life am I right?"

"I would die for my sister." He said firmly. "What are you getting at?"

I sighed as I picked up a small rock between my hands and crushed it effortlessly. "Soon my daughter will be in danger and if the visions are correct many of us will die. I want to make sure she is in the best care possible if the worst possible happens."

"What does that have to do with me?" he asked, slightly confused.

"What you saw, Alice's vision. I can read minds I saw what you both saw. My daughter was with you and her looks were slightly older. I can only assume that something has happened to make you take her under your care."