Chapter 1: That fateful spring day

??? POV

It was chilly outside, the ground damp from the afternoon rain. Our small footsteps echoing from the pavement below us as we ran, giggling. The moon became our only source of light, guiding us to our unknown destination. The sound of my heavy breathing was soothing in a way. "Hyung." I whispered to him as we approached the lonesome playground. "We can't be here or my dad will-"

He zipped his head around and flashed me his most charming smile. "Come on Hoseok, we're already here might as well have some fun." His playful tone ringing through out the park. I stared at him and looked at the empty swings behind him swaying in the wind. My eyes glued to the object that awaits me. He nudged me and chuckled. I looked back up at him and his eyes twinkled, I grinned. We raced towards the swings and our laughter filled the silent night.

"Hyung did you bring it?" I asked excitedly. He looked at me and nodded. Slipping off his backpack, he zipped it open revealing a white box and a pocket sized watch. I swung my legs back and forth out of anticipation, eyeing the small box. He hopped off his swing and sat down on the floor, patting the spot beside him. Eagerly I jumped off and sat next to him. Once again the playground was silent.

"In five minutes you'll finally be a man Hoseok, just like me." He held up the watch to my face. I smiled widely as he opened the box. There it was, a chocolate cupcake with buttercream frosting and rainbow sprinkles. My mouth watered at the sight of it. "3 minutes." He sang out, humming while placing an orange candle in the middle. Pulling out a lighter, he lit up the flame. It was warm, the red and yellow hues dancing on our faces. I looked up at the sky.

I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder. "You and me Hoseok, we're forever. You and I are like brothers." He breathed out. He held up his pinky to me. "We're the Seok brothers, and I promise that as your hyung I'll always be there for you." He held his gaze. For a moment time had frozen. I slowly lifted my pinky and intertwined our pinkies together. "Forever?' I asked smiling ear to ear. He giggled. "Forever. Happy Birthday Hoseok make a wish."

And with that, the only warmth from that night vanished.

Seokjin. I wish to stay best friends forever.

The clock ticked, and off we went to find our way back home. "Hey Hoseok!" I turned around. "Bet I'm a faster airplane than you!" He grinned. I returned it back. "You're on!" We zoomed home, making unidentifiable noises. As we reached the driveway of my home, our laughter grew louder. Seokjin went up the steps first, he turned to face me. I was panting at the bottom of the steps. "HA! Look at you all tired I didn't even break a sweat!" His huge smile plastered across his face. He began to laugh.

I lifted my head up towards him and my eyes widened. My lungs stopped functioning. There behind Seokjin stood a tall black silhouette. My body began to tremble. With a perplexed look on his face, Seokjin tilted his head. "What's up with you? You look like you seen a ghost." He questioned. In an instant a bat was swung at the side of his head. I extended my hand out to him. "HYUNG!" His body flung off the steps rolling on to the sidewalk. I was paralyzed.

The blood slowly dripped out of his cracked skull. My shaking eyes couldn't be pulled away from his lifeless body. "What did I say Hoseok? About sneaking off without my permission?" The silhouette trudged towards me. My attention snapped up to him. He towered over me sending chills down my spine. My throat ran dry as I tried to choke out words. But I couldn't help it, my eyes drifted back to the blood scene in front of me. Tears began to fall. "Hyung.." I hiccupped.

Within a second my hair was yanked and my feet were off the ground. I began to wail out of pain, but mostly out of fear. "What did I say about crying? I didn't raise no son of a bitch. If you don't stop you'll spend your night in the attic." His booming voice slithering into my ears. I couldn't quiet down my cries. Suddenly my gut felt a great blow. He punched me in the stomach, I coughed out some blood. He tossed me to the floor.

I laid there weeping. "Get up." He said calmly. I hated his calm voice, it made me cringe from the uneasiness. Steadily I lifted myself off the ground and stood up weakly. I looked up at my father's dark, black eyes. I began to shrink under his gaze. He turned away from me, taking long strides toward Seokjin. I watched helplessly as he picked him up by the neck. Seokjin's eyelids began to flutter open ever so slightly. That was enough for my father to notice.

He slowly turned his head back to me, with his devilish smile. "Seems your friend is awake. Shall we play?" My father's outer shell dissolved, the man was gone. Instead, there stood a monster who was hungry. I heard Seokjin attempt to gasp for air. His trembling hands clawing at his neck. My father faced back to him "Hm, I've been looking for a new toy. Hey, why don't you say you and I have some fun aye?" my father creepily giggled out.

That night my friend was dragged into my home without any remorse. Endless, painful screams roamed the hall.

My face smashed into a pillow drowning out the noise, wishing it would all go away. I stained my cheeks with tears.

Outside the sun began to rise, the air was still chilly. The moon went to sleep, the streets began to be filled with families. The playground buzzing with noise. Down the driveway,  white flowers painted with drops of red from a few hours before.

"Happy Birthday to me." I choked out.

That day I turned 6.