Chapter 0: Reasons

Start from the beginning

Neither of them had earned more than mocking laughs.

Finally, those minutes were through, and when I was about to grab my bag, Robert hit my shoulder playfully. "I'm glad you were able to resist the urge to pee your pants! I saw how scared you were, and still, it went fairly smooth," he said. "I think it did, at least. But why didn't you tell me first?"

"I-I guess I was scared you'd think of it as... as something weird... or t-that you'd get the wrong idea..."

"You thought I'd assume you're in love with me?" I nodded. "Ridiculous!" He laughed. "You're always telling me we're like brothers, that'll be beyond gross."

He picked his things up as well, and we walked outside the classroom, heading to the school's backyard while we spoke.

"I-I'm just happy it didn't end too badly..."

Robert hit me again. "Take a breath, pal. I can only imagine how stressful that was, and you were handling yourself like a champion!"

"You think so?" I grinned.

"Yeah!" He put down his belongings near the thickest tree. "I'm saying you were awesome! You had the balls to speak your mind when the douchebags were trying to put you down."

"You're right, I did!" I said and joined him beneath the tree. "You always know how to make things even better."

"Oh, I do, alright." Robert chuckled before taking out his lunch box, signaling me to lean closer when opening it up. "Chocolate?"

While everyone was making a mess at the crowded cafeteria, the two of us were enjoying our preferred homemade food and snacks on our own, chattering and giggling at our favorite spot. The fun, however, lasted until they came:

"Pardon us for interrupting your lovely date."

I glanced up at the source of the voice; the cold stare and bored expression from our last lesson were no more. Instead, the male was bearing a cool, though amused smirk I'd forever recognize– Kim Taehyung's.

I had a definite, horrible idea of what was going to happen next.

"It's not a date, and I have a girlfriend!" Robert referred to a girl who used to kiss his cheek every once in a while.

"Imaginary, maybe." Taehyung scoffed. The others did too.

For as long as I could remember, I had a best friend and a worst enemy. Only the number of my allies was one when Taehyung had his whole group standing right behind him, ready for a call to attack. My friend possessed nothing more than a decent ability to speak without stuttering as much as myself. Kim Taehyung and his 'gang of douchebags,' as Robert called it, had much more.

In seconds, they spilled our food on the ground. I was laying on my stomach, and Robert on his back, both getting kicked and punched repeatedly. Taehyung grabbed the collar of my shirt and pinned me to the tree. "I should have known you were a faggot," he said. "You always scream like a little girl." He spat on my face.

If I were to kick Taehyung with my chicken legs, it would hurt me more than it would him. If I tried to hit him with my noodle arms, it would cause no damage, perhaps would make him mad. If I attempted to punch one of his friends, I'd break at least one of my own bones.

Thirteen-year-old me was defenseless. A few hits from Taehyung and I was full of bruises, despite him being the slimmest and least intimidating one of the bunch.

"Let me go..." I sobbed. "Leave us alone, please..."

"Why would I?" I heard him. "This is so much fun!"

True to his words, Taehyung didn't let go. We had to endure it until the bell rang, only then had they finally left.

"Robert!" I ran to him. "Are you alright?" My lip hurt, my stomach hurt, my chest hurt. It was painful to ask.

"I am... I'm fine, and you?" he answered.

"No, you're not! You've got a black eye again, where else did they get you?"

I hurried to wrap his arm around my sore, aching body and limp away. By the end of that one school day, it was no longer our favorite spot. And when I entered through my front door, my fists stayed clenched.

It was supposed to be my day, nerve-wracking, yet still, mine. I'd done it, I faced them all, aware they could use what I'd tell against me, not caring. I'd shared everything because I could. That day was supposed to be a success.

And it wasn't. It was ruined by none other than Kim Taehyung.

"What happened?!" Mom grabbed my face and examined it with a concerned expression. "Is it because you told them?"

"No, he doesn't need a reason... But he did call me a fa— — You know what."

My father showed up in the living room too. "Who did?!"

"Kim Taehyung, who else?" My mother replied, pulling me into a tight hug. "I'm sorry, love, no one has the right to hurt you."

"That kid, I wish I could teach him a lesson. He's so tough after all," Dad said through his teeth.

It all stopped soon after.

My mother was an author, famous for her beautifully written novels, of which everyone throughout the country had to read at least one. My father was a successful businessman, a well-respected owner of a large company. That year, we moved abroad temporarily, according to them, due to his career. I understood it wasn't necessary. Their intention was different.

It worked. I didn't have many friends, only one, Robert, whom I was face-calling daily. But the others weren't harassing me.

That was the best part; there was no Kim Taehyung to ravage my peaceful life.

I couldn't bear the mere thought of him. I began daydreaming about getting revenge for everything he had been doing to me, and in fact, it occupied my mind so much, for so long, these were at times my night dreams as well.

I believed I wouldn't harm anyone in return, that I'd be just as terrified, unable to. The thought, however, kept me going, working out, studying hard, bringing the best in me.

The next time I'll meet him, I'll be a man.

Next chapter: "Have Its and the Have Nots"

I read all comments and votes are highly appreciated. Thank you!