Chapter Thirteen: The Cafe

Mulai dari awal

Then the choreographer began. He was very fast in handing everything out. The dance was fast and meant for the flexible. It had a similar style to Bob Fosse, but she wasn't told which show it was. She still tried her best. She picked everything up as fast as she could and kicked as high as she could. Hopefully, it was enough.

She left that audition room sweating, alongside everyone else. There were definitely people better than her in that audition room and she would be shocked if she got a callback.

She had years of dance training, but nothing vigorous as some professionals in that room. She took a class twice a week in college, and that was for credit. She was good at some aspects, but not everything. One challenging part was the flexibility. She had decent technique and nice lines since that was forced upon the dancers, but never flexibility.

She left the building in her leggings and baggy t-shirt and stepped out into the cold, bustling New York. The air was refreshing and nothing like the damp room she just left.

She texted Danny to tell him that she was finished and hailed another cab to the penthouse. She was still starving. She tried to call Ms. Birdie to ask her if she could cook something for her but remembered that she was taking care of some personal business.

She was dropped off at the building and took the elevator to Quentin's floor. She is still very hesitant about calling it home. She still wasn't comfortable in the place or it's people to call it home. She never had a place to call home at all.

Penny took a quick shower to rinse off the sweat and change out of her dancing clothes. She braided her wet hair in two Dutch braids and wore some blue jeans and a random comfy striped shirt. On her laptop she looked up on the map to try and find some food. She found a street that had a few different restaurants. It was only two blocks away.

She grabbed a light coat, a scarf, and her purse and walked back down to the street. While the walk was a cold one, it was nice. She got to take in her surroundings. She felt like a woman at that point, like an actual adult woman. It was a strange feeling. She, at that moment and throughout the whole day, did everything on her own. Nothing, and no one got in her way. It was a great feeling.

She got to the street that had a few different places. She decided on a cafe that had some bakery food and brunch foods.

She walked in, it wasn't too crowded. People sat at tables, plugged into laptops, but the line wasn't long. She ordered a decaf coffee with caramel flavoring and cream, as well as some tasting-sounding avocado toast with arugula and goat cheese. She found small table that faced away from the window.

All of her stuff came out soon, and she just sat in the ambience of the cafe, enjoying herself.

***

Quentin rarely was home since his new tinder date hookup. She became a regular, nightly thing. He would go to her place at night, where they would eat dinner with each other and then have sex. He would only come home in the mornings to get changed for work.

Now it was Saturday, and usually, he would take the day off, but since the two companies were still in the process of merging, he was working overtime. He didn't mind since he was going on a lunch date with his new hook-up buddy. Her name was Adria Hook.

They were not exclusive, but neither was seeing anyone else. Well, unless Penny counted, but in Quentin's mind it didn't. They were attracted to each other, but Quinn still had Penny lingering in the back of his mind. He didn't tell her about his marital status. He honestly doesn't think they would last. Quinn always managed to annoy his partner or ruin it somehow.

So far, it was just casual fun.

But going to lunch together was them stepping out of her apartment and into the real world. It was kind of a big step in their relationship.