Black figure

Everyone was still in lessons by the time Lottie, Ellie and Jamie had finished unpacking and making their beds. Lottie sat down on her bed picking up her book from besides her and opening up on the page she last stopped at, taking out her post-it note bookmark. Ellie had gone to sleep on top of her bed, the days excitement getting on top of her. Meanwhile Jamie preparing himself and Lottie's training schedules, both their timetables laid out in-front of him. 

After reading the first sentence multiple times, each time getting distracted and having to re-start, Lottie shut her book closed and threw it back down beside her. "I'm getting some fresh air" she said, not giving Jamie a chance to object as she shut the door behind her. The familiar smell of Rosewood hung around in the corridors as Lottie walked through them, well aware she was the only student not in her uniform. As she passed the school field she could've sworn she saw another black figure but it vanished before she could properly set eyes on it. 

Finally in the woods, Lottie slumped against a tree, picking at the grass. Breathing in the fresh air, she looked ahead of her, into the depth of the trees. A black figure stood in front of her, no facial features visible. Lottie slowly stood up, looking straight at the figure, this time it didn't move. She turned to move away but another figure stood in her way, this time it was closer. Panic started to build up in Lottie's chest but she quickly shrunk it down, exactly how Jamie had taught her. Instead, she threw her fist at the figures face, leaving it to topple backwards.

Just when she thought she might be able to run past, the figure grabbed the back of her hood and pulled her back. Lottie twisted its wrist and tipped the figure up before running. She ran as fast as she could, not daring to look back. The grass crunched with her every step. She could hear footsteps behind her as she ran closer to the school. Just when she thought she'd escaped them, she tumbled over, falling to the ground. A foot stood on top of her, holding her down as she struggled to get up. 

Letting out a grunt, Lottie eventually pushed the foot off her, quickly scrambling to her feet before making a run for it, the footsteps behind her closing in. As she breathed heavily, she ran into the side entrance, hoping who ever was following her wouldn't dare come inside the school. She was right, instead they followed her through the windows, almost next to her. Lottie could see their dorm room and fumbled her key into the key hole and opening the door. She tumbled to the floor and kicked the door shut with her foot before resting the back of her hand on her forehead "I think I'm gonna die" she exhaled dramatically. Jamie brought his attention ion away from the schedule he had produced and looked down at Lottie crumpled on the floor.

Ellie woke up, looked at Lottie and then went back to sleep, her quiet snore coming back into the room. "What the hell happened to getting a bit of fresh air?" Jamie asked, twisting around his chair so he was facing Lottie. "They're here Jamie" Lottie replied, still breathing heavily. Jamie's eyes widened and he looked up at the window, a black figure quickly scurrying away. "Have you been seeing them in the window by any chance?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at where the figure had just stood. "Yes" Lottie said, kicking off her shoes. "Rosewood really need to sort out their security, I mean they're roaming the grounds, to scared to come into the building but I assume that will be a different story at night time" Lottie muttered, attempting to get to her feet. "Ellie, Ellie?" Jamie said, trying to wake her up. Ellie opened her eyes with confusion "what?" She groaned. "You are not to go outside alone, Leviathan are out there, ok? We'll make sure Rosewood get them" he said. Ellie rolled her eyes "I'm not a kid, I turned 17 not that long ago, please stop fussing over me". Lottie smirked "Ellie, you'd think, after all this time, you'd realise that's our job". Jamie nodded, turning his attention back to the schedule. 

Ellie nodded off back to sleep after the conversation ended, the snores coming back. 'Are you ok though Lottie?" Jamie asked, finishing writing a note before looking to her. She nodded, biting her lip before burying her face in her hands. Jamie dropped his pen and got up to go join her. "I'm sorry, I try not to let them get to me, I try to be brave but I'm scared, Jamie, what if one time I'm to late, what if I can't protect you guys" she cries into her hands. "I wish I was like you Jamie, you are so strong and brave and kind, you aren't scared, you know what to do" she adds. Jamie silently pulls her into a side hug, rubbing her back. "What if I'm not? What if I've just been trained all this time to hide my emotions" he said. "You'd have been trained very well" Lottie laughed, sniffing away her runny nose. 'We'll be ok, won't we?"Lottie asked, looking up to him. "We'll be just fine" Jamie replies.