Some people want it all

Lottie lay awake in the nurse's bed at Rosewood, her arm holding a green, crusty, open wound. She had been awake for an hour now and no one had been to see her, not even the nurse. Tears rolled down her cheek as she felt the scrutinizing pain in her arm. Poison. She remembered how Jamie had helped her, been there for her, how Ellie had helped her. These were her friends, her new family, that she was so grateful for.

The door swung open and the nurse came in with a half eaten sandwich, holding many paper work in her free arm. "ahh, Lottie how you feeling?" she said, clearly surprised to her awake. "um, horrible, it really hurts" Lottie replied, moaning at her arm. The nurse looked at her worryingly "Do you want to see your friends?" she said. Lottie nodded and as the nurse went to retrieve them she called out "please only Jamie and Ellie, I don't think I could handle a crowd". The nurse simply smiled at her before shutting the door behind her. 

Lottie lay there, not being able to move through the pain, it hurt like a knife stabbing into your arm repeatedly. Every so often she would feel a sharp pain from the drugs seeping into the wound. Leviathan clearly didn't care for her, they wanted Jamie and Ellie and she needed to push through this to keep them safe.

Ten minutes later, the nurse returned with Ellie following her. Where was Jamie? Lottie forced a smile through her pain at Ellie, showing her pearl white teeth. Ellie ran to her side and hugged her awkwardly over the edge of the bed, avoiding her arm. Lottie tried to return it with her free arm but it hurt to much. "Thank you Ellie" Lottie whispered. "What for?" Ellie said pulling away from the hug to look Lottie in the eyes. "everything" Lottie whispered scrunching her nose in pain. Ellie squeezed Lottie's hand reassuringly. She could tell Lottie was wondering where Jamie was, he was back at the palace, sorting out the incidence with her mum and dad. Did she want to tell Lottie? No, but it was the right thing to do and he would be returning this afternoon. "Lottie, Jamie's back at the palace, sorting out the incidence with mum and dad" Ellie whispered, still holding Lottie's hand. She could see the pain in Lottie's eyes which usually looked so happy. "but he will be back this afternoon" she added, instantly seeing Lottie's lips tug a small smile. "I am so grateful for you Ellie, you are the most amazing girl I've ever known" Lottie said. Ellie was taken aback by this but instantly embraced Lottie into another one sided hug "you too".

Ellie had left to go get Lottie's blanket, Mr Truffle's and a new change of clothes for her. She picked out an over sized t-shirt with the arista cats on the front, marching in pure joy. She pared it with white jogging bottoms and her bunny slippers. Ellie sat on the end of Lottie's bed, hugging Mr Truffles, this is all her fault, Lottie wouldn't be hurt if it weren't for her. She shook these thoughts away, rising to her feet and leaving their dorm. Carrying Lottie's belongings down the hallways, she let her salty tears escape as she saw students living their normal lives, why can't that be them?

Lottie lay in her bed, clenching her teeth together through the pain as she attempted to sit up. Her free arm trembled as she hauled her body up. She did it. Sweat dripped off her forehead, mixing with her tears. Ellie entered the room with her requested items, a sad smile painted on her pale face. Lottie returned the sad smile as she took the items from her "thank you" she said. Ellie sat besides her, helping her pull on the top and jogging bottoms, slipping on her slippers for her. She then brushed Lottie's hair into a half up half down style with a pearl hair tie. Lottie winced a lot in this process but she pushed through it because she was a fighter.

Jamie hopped out the private taxi the palace had ordered for him from the plane. He was buzzing to see Lottie. She'd been asleep for four days and he's never failed to visit her apart from today when he was sent to the palace. He had held her hand through it all. Ellie hadn't been the same, always in her own world. He knew she was killing herself inside with blaming herself. None of this was any of their faults. He practically ran up the path to the school, roses leading him to Lottie.

Lottie sat in her bed, hugging Mr Truffles, reading Romeo and Juliet. Jamie's secret favourite. Ellie was listening to music, asleep, next to her in the bed. Her earphones slipping out her ears. 

Jamie ran down the corridors, pushing past people, ignoring teachers telling him off. Eventually he made it to the nurse's office and was face to face with the door. Again. He remembered last time he was here, Lottie had eaten the banana bread and tumbled down into his arms. The pain he felt in his heart. He took a deep breath before knocking on the door. Lottie's voice rung in his ears "come in". Jamie straightened his shirt before opening the door. 

Lottie's face lit up when she saw Jamie, a huge grin splatted across her face. Jamie watched as she shut her book with her free hand and reached that hand out to him. He ran to her and took it, kissing her hand a thousand times. Ellie let out a gentle snore next to Lottie which caused Lottie to giggle, making Jamie smile. "Jamie-"she whispered but before she could finish Jamie had pressed his lips against hers. Lottie smiled against his lips and returned the kiss. Lottie reached her hand to his head and ruffled his hair, holding it in her fisted hand. 

After half an hour of Lottie and Jamie quietly talking the nurse came in. "right Lottie, time to clean out your wound again" the nurse exclaimed, tugging on her rubber gloves with a smack. Jamie squeezed Lottie's hand and held it to his lips. Lottie looked into his eyes and smiled. Ellie woke up and removed herself from the bed sleepily, rubbing her eyes. She pressed pause on her music and gave Lottie a reassuring thumbs up, standing at the edge of the bed. The nurse grabbed wipes, anti-septic, many medicines and sat in the chair next to Lottie's bed. "you're going to have to give me your arm" she says, opening a pack of wipes. Lottie nods, letting go of Jamie's hand and using her good arm to lift and move her poisoned arm. She then took Jamie's hand again before the nurse started rubbing the wipe against her wound. She winced and let out a growl, tugging on Jamie's arm, burying her face in it. Jamie rubbed her head, hating seeing her in so much pain. He got a flash back to Lottie screaming in pain in the hallway, her arm burning and bubbling. What would've happened if she'd drank the water instead of poured it down her arm? Jamie was brought back to reality when Lottie squeezed his hand so tight he was sure she was going to pull it off. He stoked her hair, letting her tug on him.

The rest of the day was spent with Lottie and Jamie laying in her Lottie's nursing bed. Lottie asleep on Jamie's chest, her head on his shoulder, their legs entwined with each other. Elie had left to hang out with their friend group. Jamie heard Lottie's gentle, steady breathing, her arm wrapped in a fresh bandage. He stroked her hair enjoying her presence. Eventually he fell asleep, resting his head on her head and wrapping his arm round her waist.