Harry x Reader: Before the Battle of Hogwarts

Start from the beginning

"Where- where is..." I panted, barely catching my breath.

Between running around the enormous castle's grounds and fighting back tears I did not realize I had, it was difficult for me to even form a sentence. Luckily, the smart witch knew exactly what I was asking and proceeded to tell me all she knew.

"He only left a few moments ago. He said he had to do a few things in the Great Ha-" I did not even let her finish her sentence leaving her as I shouted a "thank you" over my shoulder and began sprinting to the room Harry and I sat together in during the welcome feast our first year.

During that feast, the two of us connected instantly as I was a muggle-born and he grew up with muggles. I found relief in spending time with someone just as clueless as me and he found relief in someone not gawking over him and his fame. I did not even know of his story until after I befriended him.

I smiled faintly at the memory but forced myself to a halt as I passed the Great Hall's threshold. Students and teachers were setting up the room to help the weak and injured. I did not want to know how many dead bodies would litter this room by the end of the day. Shaking the dark and worrying thought out of my head, I glanced frantically at the faces of every witch and wizard in the room. I rubbed my eyes over and over to wipe away the few silent tears that were blurring my vision and preventing me from finding Harry.

It was not until I saw the back of his shaggy, raven hair that I let out a sob of relief. The choked and desperate sound that left my mouth had Harry turning around instantly. Somehow, he immediately recognized the whimper as my own and quickly glanced over me to ensure I was not already injured. After looking me over and positive that I was okay, he met my relieved but grieving eyes with a similar expression. We were both already grieving the loss of what would inevitably come from this day, horrified that it would be us.

"(Y/N)..." He whispered with an almost shocked tone, probably previously thinking he would not see me until after the battle.

Darting towards each other, I immediately found myself within Harry's tight embrace. His skin was caked in a light layer of dirt and his once refreshing and calming scent was replaced with the stench of blood and sweat. However, it did not stop me from wrapping my arms around his waist and holding him close. I felt, and probably looked, like a toddler who was reunited with their mother after a long separation, but I did not care as I tried to squeeze him even tighter if that was at all possible. I was as close as I possibly could be to him, attempting to never allow him to leave my arms.

We stood in the middle of the hall in silence, not having to explain our public displays of affection to anyone as they all understood. I tucked my face into the crook of Harry's neck, listening to his ragged breaths as they almost mimicked mine. His arms lifted from my back to my hair as he ruffled the strange hairstyle a nervous second year gave me to distract them from their worries. He continued to thread his fingers through my hair as he cradled my head. Feeling some of the tension I had released, I pulled back from his neck to get a good look at the love of my life.

His eyes are what broke my heart the most. The cuts  and bruises seemed extremely painful, but they could be easily healed by a healer from St. Mungos or even Madam Pomfrey. On the other hand, as I looked into his eyes, I could not help but notice the spark, that I fell so hopelessly in love with, being gone. I had always commented on how Harry smiled with his eyes and how they brightened up any room he was in. Today was different though and no amount of magic could instantly bring it back. His eyes that were once full of life and perseverance, just seemed tired and almost accepting of their potential death. These sunken eyes looked at me hopelessly as he ran his thumb along my jawline. He continued to trace the features of my face as if trying to memorize it for eternity or to make sure I was truly there in his grasp.